Doctor of Education in Executive Educational Leadership (EdD)
HBU Online Learning Program
About the Degree
The EdD in Executive Educational Leadership at Houston Baptist University is designed to prepare doctoral candidates to perform in a variety of executive leadership positions. Graduates of the program are prepared to serve, for example, in positions such as human resource directors, superintendents, principals, and university and community college faculty and administrators. These positions may be held in private companies, nonprofit organizations; public, private, and charter schools; universities; and community colleges.
The Doctor of Education in Executive Educational Leadership is a post-master’s professional doctorate in education which includes an option for concentration in the Texas superintendent certification. This means that candidates who are not interested in obtaining the superintendent certification will not be required to take the TExES examination for the superintendent certification. The doctoral degree is awarded after successful completion of the coursework, and the completion of a major research project resulting in the presentation and defense of a dissertation.
The doctoral program consists of 63 credit hours with 23 hours in core leadership courses, 22 hours in core research courses, and 18 hours in executive educational leadership. An overlap of courses leading to superintendent certification and the executive educational leadership core exists.
Candidates who follow the degree plan as it is currently presented will be able to complete the program (coursework and dissertation) in three academic years. Candidates are allowed six years to complete the program.
There will be classes offered online, but there may be required on-campus classes as well.
- Official Transcripts – Applicants must provide official transcripts from institutions awarding the master’s degree. Transcripts must show completion of a master’s degree. A minimum grade point average is required for courses applied toward a master’s degree.
- Personal Statement– Applicants must write a personal statement not to exceed 1,000 words. The statement must include the following:
- Reasons for pursuing the doctoral program;
- Career goals and how the Executive Leadership doctoral program will help in meeting the established goals; and
- Experiences that relate the student’s aptitude for the doctoral program.
- Resume – Applicants must provide a current resume.
- Reference Rating Forms– Applicants must provide Reference Rating forms from the following individuals:
- Three (3) from the school district or agency at a current place of employment (references from university administrators from former places of employment may be accepted; include an explanation).
- One (1) current or former graduate professor (references from alternate administrators may be accepted; include an explanation).
- Processing fee – Applicants will be required to submit a $35 processing fee, payable online at HBU.edu/EdDAppFee, or by check or money order, to The Graduate School, Houston Baptist University, 7502 Fondren, Houston, TX, 77074.
- Other items, including an admission interview, may be requested.
Houston Baptist University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, graduate and doctoral degrees.