Doctor of Education in Executive Educational Leadership (EdD)
HBU Online Learning Program
About the Degree
The EdD in Executive Educational Leadership at Houston Baptist University is designed to prepare doctoral candidates to perform in a variety of executive leadership positions. Graduates of the program are prepared to serve, for example, in positions such as human resource directors, superintendents, principals, and university and community college faculty and administrators. These positions may be held in private companies, nonprofit organizations; public, private, and charter schools; universities; and community colleges.
The Doctor of Education in Executive Educational Leadership is a post-master’s professional doctorate in education which includes an option for concentration in the Texas superintendent certification. This means that candidates who are not interested in obtaining the superintendent certification will not be required to take the TExES examination for the superintendent certification. The doctoral degree is awarded after successful completion of the coursework, and the completion of a major research project resulting in the presentation and defense of a dissertation.
View the Degree Completion Plan.
The doctoral program consists of 63 credit hours with 23 hours in core leadership courses, 19 hours in core research courses, and 21 hours in executive educational leadership. An overlap of courses leading to superintendent certification and the executive educational leadership core exists.
Candidates who follow the degree plan as it is currently presented will be able to complete the program (coursework and dissertation) in three academic years. Candidates are allowed six years to complete the program.
This program is 100% online.
- Official Transcripts – Applicants must provide official transcripts from institutions awarding the master’s degree. Transcripts must show completion of a master’s degree. A minimum grade point average is required for courses applied toward a master’s degree.
- Master’s Research Paper – Applicants must submit a 5-7 page master’s level research paper that was written and graded during their master’s program. The submission must be a research paper covering any topic and should be authored only by the applicant.
- Resume & Service Record – Applicants must provide a current resume and service record. Applicants must have completed at least three (3) full-time professional years at an accredited school, university, or agency.
- References – Applicants must provide reference information on their application for the following:
- Two (2) administrators from the school district or agency at a current place of employment (References from university administrators from former places of employment may be accepted. Include an explanation.)
- One (1) current or former graduate professor (References from alternate administrators may be accepted. Include an explanation.)
- Processing fee – Applicants will be required to submit a $35 processing fee, payable online at HBU.edu/GradAppFee, or by check or money order, to The Graduate School, Houston Baptist University, 7502 Fondren, Houston, TX, 77074.
- Superintendent Certification – Applicants seeking a superintendent certification must submit the following additional document to be considered for admission:
- Copy of Principal Certification issued by State Board of Educator Certification.
- Admission Interview – Applicants must complete an interview as part of the admission process.
- Other items may be requested.
Houston Baptist University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Houston Baptist University.