Community Life + Worship
As the cornerstone of HBU’s holistic approach to education, the Community Life + Worship program unites the intellectual and the spiritual to prepare students for meaningful lives of leadership, distinction, and service. As an active member of our supportive, diverse, faith-based community of learners, you will be encouraged to develop professional behaviors and personal characteristics for lifelong learning and service to God and the community.
A requirement for graduation from HBU is involvement on a regular basis in spiritual formation events. All students seeking an undergraduate degree must complete the 80 CLW credit requirement before graduation. A minimum of 50 CLW (A) credits must be earned through attendance at Convocation. Students in a 100% online degree program complete these credits through BlackBoard. Students are highly encouraged to garner a minimum of 15 credits per semester. Students can earn as many CLW credits per semester as their schedule allows until the full requirement is met before graduation.
Transfer students will receive transfer credit of 3/4 credit for every transfer hour. For example, a student with 40 transfer hours will receive 30 CLW credits towards the requirement of 80 CLW credits.
Attendance and Tracking
A representative designated by the Spiritual Life Office will be available at approved events to record attendance.
- The student is responsible for having his/her attendance recorded by an ID card scan or sign-in.
- A student may only sign in twice per semester at Convocation.
- Participants do not receive credit when they arrive late, leave early, fail to sign-in or scan-in, or distract someone else from participating.
- Students may check their CLW records on their HuskyNet account.
- It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Spiritual Life Office with any questions regarding his or her CLW record.
- In the case of a discrepancy in the student CLW record, changes in credit can only be done for the semester prior to the request.
- 50 CLW credits must be obtained through attendance at Convocation.
*Students in a 100% online degree program will complete their CLW credits in the BlackBoard course at their convenience. Access to the course is unlimited and available until their graduation requirement is complete. Tracking is automatic and available inside the course.
No petitions are accepted requesting a decrease in credit requirement. If extenuating circumstances occur, the CLW committee will make a decision regarding the petition and will help the student work out a plan on a case-by-case basis. Petition forms are available in the Spiritual Life Office.