Missions allow students to develop a deeper understanding of God’s love for all people of the world. The nature of these experiences–interaction with other cultures, reflection, discussion, and service — produce a teachable arena where a student’s ideology and understanding of scripture come face to face with the world. In that place the compassion of Jesus can be learned; the Kingdom of God can be recognized, and a lifestyle of mission and servanthood can be developed.
See below for a description of all 2019-2020 Missions Learning Opportunities. Applications can be picked up in the Spiritual Life Department located on the 2nd floor of the MD Anderson Student Center (right above the HBU Bookstore)
Spring Missions Learning Opportunities
South Padre Island, TX
March 7-13, 2020
Share the Gospel of Jesus Christ through creative ministries to thousands of college students that go to South Padre Island for Spring Break. Learn how to share your faith story with others as you minister to your peers. All of the following ministries are used throughout the week to create opportunities for sharing:
- Free Rides… Each evening, Sun-Thur 8 p.m.-6 a.m., “Beach Reachers” give free van rides on the island.
- Free Breakfast… Each morning we feed pancakes to hundreds of hungry college students
- Prayer & Worship… Each evening students gather for prayer, worship, and sharing
- Midnight Breakfast… Each evening at midnight a breakfast will be available for beachgoers
Interact, serve, and worship alongside hundreds of other Christian students who have come to South Padre for the same purpose. Contact Nathan Mahand, email@example.com.
Houston Week (HW) 2020
March 9-13, 2020
Cost: $85.00 (includes registration, materials)
Come and minister and in your hometown to the homeless, children and those trapped in human trafficking. Contact Jai-Lyn Helaire, firstname.lastname@example.org
Late June-Early July, 2020
Deadline: January 2020
Cost: Approx. $2,200 depending on length of stay
- Construction of HiS HOUSE that HiS PRINT can use throughout the year
- Host tournaments and games with baseball and football teams surrounded by conferences and meetings to share Jesus’ love
- Visit orphanages and nursing homes to share the love of Jesus
- Host a July 4th Texas Carnival to reach out to the city
- Contact David Moss, http://www.hisprint.org
When we can’t visit the world, God brings the world to us. This is a wonderful ministry in which we learn from other cultures and share our culture through the love of Christ. Activities are planned campus-wide and everyone is encouraged and welcome to attend. Contact Shannon Bedo, email@example.com or Aubrey Aldave, firstname.lastname@example.org.