Transfer to HCU Online
Online Programs Are Transfer Friendly
Houston Christian University Online is dedicated to providing transfer students with easy and fair transfer evaluations for eligible course credits.
As an online student, you can transfer in up to 75% of your program’s total credit hour requirements, with a minimum of twenty-five percent that must be completed with Houston Christian University.
The Houston Christian University Online Office of Transfer Evaluation department exists to help students just like you transition between any previously attended institutions to one of our many degree programs.
Steps to Transfer to HCU
- Complete the Free Transfer Application at https://hbu.edu/online-learning/apply-now/
- Submit Official Transcripts from each previously attended college or university
- Complete FAFSA at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
- Receive your admission decision 3 to 5 business days from HCU Online receiving your application and transcripts. (exceptions apply to certain programs that require interviews)
- If accepted reach out to our academic advising team for your next steps: 1-855-428-1960, select option #1.
- Call to schedule a financial aid appointment: 1-855-428-1960, select option #4
- Excludes remedial/developmental courses
- Excludes repeated courses
- Grade scales using +/- are converted, i.e. B- converts to B (3.00)
- GPA’s are combined from previously attended institutions
- Science and Math courses taken more than 7 years ago are not transferable for science majors
- D’s and F’s are nontransferable but do count towards your cumulative Admissions GPA
Online Transfer Frequently Asked Questions
What requirements do I need to meet for my previous credits to be transfer eligible?
- Transfer courses must be from a nationally or regionally accredited institution as recognized by the United States Department of Education.
- Transfer courses must be applicable to an Associates or Bachelor’s degree.
- CEU’s, Certificate, and Diploma level courses are non-transferable.
- A transfer course must have a grade of C or higher to transfer to HCU.
My course transferred as 1XXX, 2XXX, 3XXX, or 4XXX. What does this mean?
The transfer course that transferred to Houston Christian University Online did not match a specific class that we currently offer, but the course can be used to meet any elective requirements on your degree plan.
What can I do if a course did not transfer as I thought it should?
What is a Liberal ARTS Core Requirement?
- These are courses that are required of all student’s that are pursuing a Bachelor’s degree.
How can I figure out what courses transferred, and how many courses I have remaining to complete my degree?
- Once all of your transcripts for all nationally or regionally accredited schools are received we will be able to provide you a Progress Towards Degree to help you map out your degree path.
What are the Liberal Arts Core Requirements?
Liberal Arts Core Requirements 40-43 Credit Hours
- ENGL 1313 Composition and Literature I
- ENGL 1323 Composition and Literature II
- PSYC 1313 General Psychology
- PHIL 1313 Introduction to Philosophy
- 4-hour lab science based upon major
- CHRI 1301* Introduction to the Bible
- CHRI 2373* Christian Theology and Tradition
- CHRI 3300* Introduction to Bible & Theology
- MATH 1305 Math for Critical Thinking or higher based upon major
- GOVT 2313 American and Texas Government
- ENGL 2315 or ENGL 2325 Great Works of Literature I or II
- HIST 2311 Western Civilization I
- HIST 2312, 2313, or HIST 2323: W. Civ or US Hist.
- ART 2343 Art Appreciation, MUSI 1331 Music Appreciation, or ART 2381 Special Topics
- COMM 1323 Rhetoric and Public Speaking
*Students transferring less than 45 hours to HCU are required to take CHRI 1301 & 2373. Students transferring more than 45 hours are required to take CHRI 3300.
Are there any additional Nursing Core Requirements?
Additional Nursing Core Requirements
- CHEM 1404: Introductory Chemistry (transfer students need Introductory Chemistry as their core science plus a nutrition course) or CHEM 2415: General Chemistry I
- BIOL 1414: Introductory Microbiology
- BIOL 2404: A&P I
- BIOL 2414: A&P II
- PSYC 2301: Introductory Statistics for Behavioral Sciences
- PSYC 3313: Human Growth & Development
How can I obtain pre-approval to ensure that my transfer course(s) will be applied as transfer credit prior to enrollment in the course?
Applicants, not yet accepted: Submit this form for transfer course(s) you plan to take in the future. (*Please note that this excludes previously completed courses. If you are looking to obtain transfer credit for previously completed courses outside of HCU, you must complete and submit your official or unofficial transcripts for evaluation.)
Currently enrolled HCU Online Students: Submit this form for transfer course(s) you plan to take outside of HCU.
- If you are a currently enrolled Houston Christian University Online undergraduate student, the maximum number of hours that can be transferred into a given program is eighteen credit hours.
- Only transfer courses with a grade of “C” or higher are eligible for transfer credit.
- Transfer credit is only awarded once with an official transcript is filed. We do not award transfer credit based on an unofficial transcript. If you are approved to take the course(s), you will then need to have an official transcript sent for evaluation and processing.
- Transferring courses must be from a nationally or regionally accredited institution as recognized by the United States Department of Education.
- Once your request is submitted, it is reviewed by our online verification team. If your request meets the above requirements, it is forwarded to the appropriate department for review.
- Once your request is reviewed, you will receive an email notification with a decision.
If you have further questions about your request, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Transfer Credit Resources
For any additional transfer questions please email email@example.com.