Become a Tutor
You can make difference at HBU by tutoring your fellow classmate with one of his or her subjects. This is a paid position. Please review the following:
• Completion of the course(s) you wish to tutor here at HBU (except in some cases if you started with higher level courses)
• An A in the course(s)
• A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 (3.5+ preferred)
• A desire to help other students
• Ethical and responsible character
• Good communication skills
• A commitment to maintain confidentiality at all times
• That you will model and share skills in time management, professionalism, and study habits
• The ability to assist students’ learning without doing the work for them
• Careful record keeping of all tutoring appointments
• You set your own schedule according to the library hours- including evenings and weekends. You can let us know the hours you are available and you will only need to come in when you have an appointment.
• Each tutor completes an initial training before tutoring and maintain a tutor manual that covers tutoring strategies and techniques. Additional trainings occur throughout the semester and will be scheduled as needed.
• Tutors are paid $7.25 an hour for the hours you actually work, not the hours you are available. After you complete Level 1 training, you will be promoted to $8.25 an hour. Additional opportunities are available for “promotions” and increased pay.
• To become a tutor, please complete this online application.
• Please also ask an HBU professor in each subject you wish to tutor to submit a letter of recommendation to Academic Success Center
• If a position is open in your subject(s), you will be contacted for an interview. Otherwise, your application will be held until a position becomes available.
We hire tutors as student needs arise, so a position could be open at any point in the semester.
If you have any other questions, please contact Academic Success Center.
Back to the HBU Student Success Main Page