School of Nursing and Allied Health
Houston Baptist University’s School of Nursing and Allied Health educates nurses and healthcare professionals who care for the well-being of people in our communities.
Among nursing schools in Houston and beyond, HBU is a recognized and respected leader. Through the Departments of Nursing and Kinesiology, we offer undergraduate, graduate and online degree programs in nursing and in kinesiology (with specializations in sport management and wellness management).
It is our philosophy that achieving true health is far more than just avoiding or treating sickness — it’s about promoting the wholeness of the person and the community. Students in our nursing programs and kinesiology programs benefit from this holistic approach. They bring enthusiasm, care and diligence to our rigorous academic challenges. Together, nursing and kinesiology students account for about one-third of the University’s enrollment.
HBU is a Christian university, and the School of Nursing and Allied Health educates students to show the same care, compassion and global impact shown by Jesus. As a Baptist School of Nursing and Allied Health, HBU focuses on the importance of treating the whole patient—and teaching the whole student. Both nursing and kinesiology students benefit from small classes with experienced, dedicated faculty who know our students by name and help them grow through a holistic approach that focuses on:
- Mind – the curriculum is integrated with general studies for a total University experience.
- Body – our students gain hundreds of hours of hands-on clinical experience in top-level hospitals, in our on-campus simulation lab and through the Bradshaw Fitness Center.
- Spirit – our students are organized into cohorts that form strong bonds as they take classes together and mentor each other through the Nursing Student Association. Prayer and Bible studies are available for students who wish to participate.
Top Academic Programs
Houston Baptist University educates nurses to create healthcare delivery systems — not just function within existing systems — in order to fully meet the needs of individuals, families and groups in society. HBU’s accredited academic degree programs in Nursing educate future nurses who are respected and welcomed in the healthcare community in Houston, throughout Texas and nationwide. Explore our excellent degree programs to build a strong foundation for your future in nursing.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing – Honors (BSN)
- Nursing RN to BSN program (BSN)
- Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Our Kinesiology program leads to many career options in the allied health industries. The Kinesiology-Wellness Management degree prepares you for jobs and graduate studies in exercise physiology, cardiac rehabilitation, strength and conditioning, fitness training and other allied health professions. The program is also an excellent choice paired with electives to fulfill prerequisites for physical therapy, occupational therapy and other professional health programs.
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Kinesiology: Specialization in Sports Management
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Kinesiology: Specialization in Wellness Management
- Master of Science (MS) in Kinesiology – Sport Management
Excellent Student Benefits
The mission of the School of Nursing and Allied Health is to prepare individuals to be leaders within interprofessional health teams as they provide quality services in diverse settings, as a result of our central confession that Jesus Christ is Lord.
HBU students in the Nursing program or the Kinesiology program can expect to be challenged, learn and be guided in an environment that provides a first-class education built on strong Christian values. As students in the School of Nursing and Allied Health, you will receive a comprehensive education that blends the arts and sciences to help you perform in a global society. Because of HBU’s strong reputation among nursing schools in Houston, our graduates with Nursing degrees or Kinesiology degrees are ready to market their skills in our city, which offers extensive job and career opportunities. You will also be fully prepared to take your education anywhere you choose.
As a leading Nursing program in Houston, HBU supports student organizations as opportunities to give our Nursing students further preparation for their future careers, including networking with other healthcare professionals.
- Sigma Theta Tau – The mission of Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), the honor society of nursing, is to advance world health and celebrate nursing excellence in scholarship, leadership and service. Sigma Theta Tau International’s vision is to be the global organization of choice for nursing. STTI membership is by invitation to baccalaureate and graduate nursing students who demonstrate excellence in scholarship and to nurse leaders exhibiting exceptional achievements in nursing.
- National Student Nurses’ Association – Houston Baptist University is proud to host a local chapter for the National Student Nurses’ Association. The HBU chapter aligns itself with the University’s Ten Pillars Vision and seeks to increase our cultural impact and establish a society of learning through health education and community outreach to achieve a more global focus. We aim to enhance students’ lives through their meaningful interaction with one another and other healthcare professionals. The Nursing Student Association at the School of Nursing and Allied Health is located in the Cullen Science Building, room S119.
For More Information
To learn more about the School of Nursing and Allied Health at Houston Baptist University, contact:
School of Nursing and Allied Health
Houston Baptist University
7502 Fondren Road
Houston TX 77074-3298