Educator Preparation Program (EPP)
The Educator Preparation Program (EPP) is an integral part of the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences. The EPP office provides numerous services for students seeking to become professional educators, including:
- Assisting students during the process of applying for acceptance into the Houston Baptist University Educator Preparation Program (EPP)
- Coordinating field experience placements with university professors and area schools
- Providing students information regarding the Texas Examination of Educational Standards (TExES), practice materials, practice exams and review sessions
- Facilitating approvals for students to take the TExES and to create an account with the Texas Education Agency
- Providing information on how to Request a Service Record
- Assisting students during the process of applying for clinical teaching, and partnering with area schools to place clinical teachers Undergraduate App – Graduate App
- Preparing the Clinical Teaching Handbook
- Training clinical teachers’ supervisors and mentor teachers
- Providing information for students who have completed all of the requirements for certification to apply for certification in Texas
- Assisting students who have a grievance or complaint during participation in EPP
- Conducting surveys of employers and graduates to evaluate level of preparedness of candidates
HBU Testing Services in Moody Library
Applying for Admittance into the Educator Preparation Program (EPP)
Applications for admittance into EPP are due the semester a pre-education student completes 45 hours and all other requirements as listed on the application.
- Undergraduate EPP Requirements and Process
- Flowchart: How to Apply for EPP Undergraduate Admission
- THEA Study Resources
- Graduate EPP Requirements and Process
- Graduate EPP Application
- EPP Student Handbook
Applying for Placement into Clinical Teaching (formerly Student Teaching)
Applications for Clinical Teaching are due two semesters prior to the semester of clinical teaching. The EPP office will put out an electronic call at time the forms are due, which is typically the 3rd week of each Fall and Spring semester.
Preparing for Educator Exams for Certification in Texas
Reviews of Practice Exams are scheduled throughout the year and are open to all eligible HBU students.
These tests are only open to HBU Education students who have been admitted into the HBU Educator Preparation Program. A passing score (80% or above) on the Education Practice Exams satisfies the undergraduate degree requirement for Education Majors looking to complete EDUC 4100. These tests also qualify students to take state TExES exams for both undergraduates and graduate certifications. Students will receive an online study module with practice.
Applying for Texas Educator Certification
Process for applying for standard certification, initial certification and additional certification, such as principal, school counselor, educational diagnostician, and superintendent should be completed after successful completion of coursework, graduation, and passing TExES required for the certification.
Comments from Employers of Graduates of HBU’s Educator Preparation Program
Based on the 2011-2012 employer survey, it was evident that employees feel that graduates of the HBU School of Education are well-prepared for employment and continue to demonstrate such levels of classroom performance after one to five years.
Comments from employers indicated that HBU graduates are:
When comparing HBU graduates to graduates of other universities, employers described our graduates as “above others” and “higher level”