International Student Admissions

International Student Definition
International Student Admission Process
For Current or Seeking F-1 Students

An international student is defined as any student wanting to attend the University who does not have the classification of United States citizen or permanent resident status as defined by the Bureau of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).   This student will attend HBU on a non-immigrant via status, e.g., F-1, H-4, L-2, A-1, etc.  An individual’s immigration status determines whether the student must attend full-time. More detailed information can be obtained by contacting the Office of International Student Services at 281-649-3292, fax to 281-649-3217, or e-mail to or visit  All documents must be on file prior to admission consideration for graduate students.  All academic documents must be on file for undergraduate students prior to admission consideration, and they will not be able to register for classes until all of the immigration documents have been satisfactorily submitted.  HBU assumes ownership of all documents.

  1. Application for admission must be completed and returned to the appropriate admissions department (Undergraduate Admissions Office or Graduate Admissions). Online submission of an application is strongly encouraged. Paper versions of our application can also be provided upon request.  The Graduate School does not have a paper copy of the application; prospective students will complete an online application.
  1. An official transcript must be submitted showing graduation from a secondary school or its equivalent for undergraduate applicants. An official transcript showing a degree from a regionally accredited college or university must be submitted for graduate admissions as well as official copies of transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended. Any undergraduate or graduate applicant who has attended a college or university outside the United States must have his or her transcripts sent to a university approved foreign evaluation service for a course-by-course evaluation and a grade point average calculation. A copy of the evaluation must be sent directly to HBU from the evaluation service. Freshman applicants must also complete this process of evaluation for all foreign high school transcripts.  Names of approved evaluation services are available at  The transferring undergraduate student should have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale for all undergraduate work. A graduate student applicant must meet the minimum grade point requirements of the specific graduate program.
    In considering credit by transfer from other institutions, HBU places a premium on credits from regionally accredited institutions.  However, HBU will also consider a request for transfer credit from institutions that are not regionally accredited.  Applicants must submit transcripts from all institutions attended whether regionally accredited or non-accredited.   Upon admission to the university, the student’s coursework will be reviewed for transferability and possible equivalent credit by the Transfer Specialist.  Transfer credits from a non-accredited institution will be considered on a case-by-case basis pending an institutional review by the Transfer Specialist and the Office of the Provost.  For all transferable work, the student must have earned a grade of “C” or higher.
  1. All international applicants must submit copies of all relevant immigration documents, including passport, visa, and I-94.  Please refer to the International Admissions page of the HBU website for detailed information and requirements.
  1. Please see the “Graduate Admissions” section of this catalog for the specific requirements as they relate to the appropriate graduate program of interest.

For Current or Seeking F-1 Students

Affidavit of Support International students must submit documentation verifying financial support.

Completed financial affidavit with a witness certifying the signature of the person providing the support. The amount of support that should be written on the financial affidavit for a single person is available at  If the student’s dependents will travel to the U.S. with the student, add an additional $5,000* per person for one year to the specific program amount.

A copy of the bank account (for three of the last six months) of the person providing the support or a letter from a bank confirming the required funds are available to the student while studying in the U.S. Students under twenty-one (21) years of age must have their financial affidavit signed by a sponsor over the age of twenty-one (21).

If the sponsor does not have sufficient funds in the bank, the sponsor should submit a letter from his/her employer on company letterhead. The letter should state whether the job is temporary or permanent, salary, date employment began and what the person’s job is.

English Proficiency:  Holders of F-1 student visas will be required to demonstrate English proficiency in one of the following ways:

  • Successful completion of English Composition I and II from a regionally accredited institution(s)
  • Successful completion of the English Language Program at Language consultants International
  • Completion of a bachelor’s degree or higher from a university whose instruction was conducted in English

Immigration Documentation Students currently on an F-1 Visa must submit a copy of Visa, passport, I-94 (front and back) and issued the form I-20.  Students seeking an F-1 are required to submit a valid copy of the student’s passport.

Health Insurance. All undergraduate and F-1 seeking graduate international students are required to have medical insurance which is valid in Houston, Texas. Their coverage should include repatriation and medical evacuation, an ID card in English, and a claims submission address in the United States.

Students will be issued a form I-20 after the University receives all required documents and fees and the student has been accepted by the Admissions Office.

Visa classifications other than an F-1 student visa; please contact the office of International Student Services at (281) 649-3292 or by e-mail at