Important Note – Due to recent events with the COVID-19 Virus, the therapists of the Gideon Institute Counseling Center are now meeting via online video sessions only.
Students on the wait-list will continue to be contacted as online sessions open up. For immediate assistance please consider the resources below:
Questions, concerns or need resources? Contact email@example.com.
Christ-centered Tele-mental-health Counseling for Texas Residents:
Julianna Poor Memorial Counseling Center at Houston’s First Baptist Church: Call 713-335-6462 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment. HBU students pay a discounted fee of $35/session.
Counseling Center at Christ the King Presbyterian Church – email email@example.com to schedule an appointment. HBU students pay a discounted fee of $15/session.
Neema Counseling in Austin, Texas area – visit www.neemacounseling.com for information on how to schedule. There is an application for sliding scale fee on the website if needed. Can bill health insurance as an out-of-network provider.
- Neema Counseling has also started a support group for college students experiencing increased anxiety and stress due to all the changes related to COVID-19. Groups are $20 per session. Visit www.neemacounseling.com/covid19-college-student-support-group for more information.
If you or a loved one is experiencing a mental health crisis and need to speak to someone immediately, the following resources are available 24/7:
- Harris Center Hotline – 713-970-7000 (option 1)
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline – 1-800-273-8255
- Crisis Text Line – Text HOME to 741741
- On Campus – Call HBU Campus Police: 281-649-3911
- Off Campus – Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room