The Gideon Institute Counseling Center provides counseling that is Christ-centered, biblically rooted, and clinically informed. Students from all faiths/spiritual backgrounds are welcome.
All Services will be provided remotely via HIPAA-compliant telehealth for Fall, 2020.
Support Groups and Individual Appointments available. There is no waitlist for services.
Call us to schedule an appointment with a therapist, sign up for a support group, or with questions or concerns.
Phone: 281-649-3431 (Phone Hours: 8:00am – 5:00pm)
Counseling Services are provided to currently enrolled HBU students during the Fall and Spring semesters when classes are in session. All individual and group services will be offered via HIPAA Compliant Telehealth for Fall, 2020.
Therapists see students for individual sessions:
- By appointment only
- Based on availability
- Maximum of eight individual sessions per school year
- Referrals will be provided if needed
- Cost is $10 per individual session payable by credit card or HSA card
- Financial assistance available
Fall appointments begin September 8, 2020. Call 281-649-3431 between 8am-5pm to schedule an appointment.
Students can attend as many meetings as desired during the school year. Groups are FREE and meet weekly. Attendance at every meeting is not required, but encouraged.
Fall 2020 Groups:
- COVID-19 Support Group: for those struggling with grief, loss, or any difficulty due to COVID-19
- Minds Transformed: for those living with a mental health challenge
- Hearts Transformed: female only – for survivors of sexual trauma/domestic violence
- Christ-Centered Recovery Group: for those desiring recovery from addiction/compulsive behaviors
Call 281-649-3431 between 8am-5pm for meeting times/ information and to sign up.
Christ-Centered Counseling for Texas Residents
Notice: Telehealth is available for these counseling services
Counseling Center at Christ the King Presbyterian Church – email firstname.lastname@example.org
to schedule an appointment. HBU students pay a discounted fee of $15/session.
Neema Counseling in Austin, Texas area – visit www.neemacounseling.com
for information on how to schedule. There is an application for sliding scale fee on the website if needed. Can bill health insurance as an out-of-network provider.
- Neema Counseling also has a support group for college students experiencing increased anxiety and stress due to all the changes related to COVID-19. Groups are $20 per session. Visit www.neemacounseling.com/covid19-college-student-support-group for more information.
- The Austin Stone Counseling Center has four locations in the Austin, Texas area that currently provide tele-mental-health services. Visit www.austinstonecounseling.org for more information.
- Houston Center For Christian Counseling – visit www.christiancounselinghouston.com for more information. Fees range from $85-$150 per session. Health insurance accepted by most counselors. HCCC can check with your insurance company as a courtesy before the first counseling session to verify benefits and coverage.
Crisis Hotlines, Emergency, and Urgent Care Resources
If you or a loved one is experiencing a mental health crisis and need to speak to someone immediately, the following resources are available 24/7:
If you or a loved one has an emergency:
- On Campus – Call HBU Campus Police: 281-649-3911
- Off Campus – Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room
Urgent mental healthcare options (hours of operation less than 24 hours):
- HHCI’s Free Mental Health Peer Support Warmline (Monday-Sunday 5pm-8pm) – 832-831-PEER (7337)
- What is a warmline? A warmline is a telephone service (aka a call line) for people who are looking for someone to discuss their daily struggles. Warmlines are staffed with peers who have lived experience of mental health struggles themselves and who are open to sharing their stories of challenging situations, recovery, and perseverance. Moreover, they listen to callers share their own struggles.
- Memorial Hermann Mental Health Crisis Clinics – 713-338-MHCC (6422)
- The hours at each clinic location will vary, please call ahead for the hours of operation.
- Visit www.memorialhermann.org/mental-health for more information. Crisis counseling and emergency medication administration available.
- Payment accepted via health insurance or sliding scale fee based on income.
- Closest location to HBU is the Meyerland Area location.
HBU Online Counseling Videos