Houston Hires Huskies
The Office of Career and Calling offers career counseling, career development, and comprehensive programming each semester to prepare students to enter the world of work and community service. We provide a range of services to employers which include on-line job postings, internship placement, resume referrals, career fairs, on-campus interviews, information sessions and more.
For Employer Relations questions about Career Fairs, Recruit-A-Husky Booths, and the Career Insider Series, please contact Aaron Swarts, Assistant Director of Career and Calling.
For Employer Relations questions about the Community Internship Program and on Campus Interviews, please contact Debra Bell, Coordinator of Student Work-Study & Internships.
Regular Office Hours:
- Monday – Friday: 8:00am-5:00pm
Main Phone Line: 281-649-3169
Recruiting at Houston Baptist University has never been more important to your recruiting needs than right now due to the changing landscape of the global job market and the baby boom generation retiring and leaving talent deficits in growing industries. Huskies represent a diversity of faith, culture, academic pursuits, and career ambitions. Below is a snapshot of why you need Huskies in your talent pipeline:
- Total Alumni Population: 20,000
- Total Student Population: 3,300
- Ethnicity & Culture: 34% Latino, 27% Caucasian, 19% African American, 11% Asian, 4% Multi-Racial
- Gender: 63% Female, 38% Male*
- Texas County of Origin: 54% Harris, 21% Fort Bend, 4% Brazoria, 3% Montgomery, 2% Galveston
- Popular Undergraduate Majors: Biology, Nursing, Education, Business Administration, Accounting, Cinema & Media Arts, Kinesiology-Wellness Management, Christianity
- Popular Graduate Majors: Curriculum & Instruction, Divinity, Fine Arts, Counseling, Human Resources, MBA
- Doctoral Major: Executive Leadership & Administration
*Undergraduate Percentages for Gender
HBU Career Fairs
The Office of Career and Calling hosts Industry-Focused Career Fairs for students and alumni. If you are seeking to hire for internships, part-time and full-time positions, then we suggest you attend! If you attend one of our Career Fairs and would like to interview prospective candidates on campus, please let us know and we will reserve an interview room for you!
2018-2019 Career Fairs
- Fall Nursing & Healthcare Career Fair
- Fall (BAM) Business, Accounting, & Marketing Career Fair
- Education & Government Career Fair
- Spring Nursing & Healthcare Career Fair
- Education & Counseling Career Fair
- Spring (BAM) Business, Accounting, & Marketing Career Fair
- Church & Faith Based Career Fair
Please visit hbu.edu/careerfairs to register your company!
Please email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Campus Interviews-Hire Huskies
On Campus Interviews
Employers who have volunteer, internship, part-time, and full-time opportunities available can conduct interviews on the HBU campus. Here are helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Post your opportunity in Hire a Husky before conducting on campus interviews. We can instruct students to apply online in order to be considered or we can schedule on-the-spot interviews instead.
- Ask the Career and Calling team to set up an Interview Schedule that is either OPEN or PRE-SELECT. An OPEN schedule will allow your target major(s) to sign up for an interview directly while a PRE-SELECT schedule provides the employer an opportunity to screen candidates before an interview is scheduled. We highly recommend an OPEN interview schedule for internships and when the employer is expecting a larger candidate pool to interview.
- Use our Resume Books to browse student resumes and select who you would like to interview. We will reach out to the student(s) on your behalf. Resume Books consist of students and alumni who have voluntarily uploaded their resumes to the Hire-A-Husky system for employers to contact them.
- Allow 2-3 weeks lead time before you come to campus to conduct your interviews.
- Conducting Campus Interviews after Career Fairs is highly encouraged.
- We can assist you with getting the word out to students, alumni, and key faculty and staff including student organizations.
- We reserve rooms and space for you to conduct the interviews.
- Be flexible regarding the times you are willing to conduct the interviews. Our students have various class schedules in the morning, afternoon, and evening.
- Lunch is provided to employers.
- Contact Career and Calling to learn more and set up an interview date.
Recruit-A-Husky Booth Sponsorship
Recruit-A-Husky Booth Sponsorship
Do you have a limited budget and would like to still engage huskies on campus?! We believe the Recruit-A-Husky Booth sponsorship is a great way to establish your company’s presence on campus! We encourage employers to sponsor a booth in our Moody Library, Hinton Center, or M.D. Anderson Student Center! Here the benefits of a Recruit-A-Husky Booth sponsorship:
- Includes coordinated email marketing campaign about company sponsor to students and alumni over an entire semester and before you come on campus.
- Includes coordinated social media campaign about sponsor launched throughout the semester.
- Resume Book exclusively prepared for sponsor before sponsor comes on campus and it adheres to their specific recruiting needs. Sponsor is highly encouraged to directly contact students in the Resume Book letting them know when the sponsor will be on campus. That personal touch matters to highly-favored candidates with multiple options in the Houston job market!
- Lunch, snacks, and drinks for the company representatives are included in the sponsorship.
- Employer has base time of 10:00am-3:00pm: Monday-Thursday in a given semester and lunch 12:00pm-1:00pm.
- Value Listing: $50 per booth
- This will give you an opportunity to meet and greet our students in a casual environment, showcase your company, provide giveaways, and secure your employment needs through promoting internships, seasonal, part-time and full-time opportunities for HBU students and alumni.
- If you are interested in pursuing this opportunity, feel free to to contact the Office of Career and Calling at least 10 business days or two weeks in advance of your prospective date so that we can be prepared for your visit.
- To sponsor a booth, please visit here.
Career Insiders Series (Seeking Industry Partners!)
Part of our mission to prepare students and alumni for the World of Work involves Workshops geared for coaching and professional development. We are always seeking industry partners to critique resumes, perform mock interviews, lead workshops and panel discussions, and provide industry perspectives to aspiring students. Below are just a few of the seminars we host every year:
- Speed (Mock) Interviews
- Resume Clinic
- Business Etiquette Dinner
- Athletic Career Development Seminar
- The Career Insider Series
We are currently planning this year’s line-up. Below is an example of a lineup of events we had last Fall:
The Career Insider Series: FALL Edition is a great way for students to learn about many industries as well as connect with professionals (Career Insiders) working in these industries we have decided to highlight this summer! If students attend all Career Insider presentations in the series then they will receive a FREE PROFESSIONAL GIFT! Each Career Insider will discuss the topics below as well as share with those in attendance any job opportunities that are available at their organization and advice for students and alumni. By the way, we will be having Appetizers (e.g., Chicken & Beef Sliders, Meat/Cheese/Veggies samplers, and other “lite bites”)! Bring yourself and your appetite to the Career Insider Series happening this fall!
The Career Insider Series: Featured Career Insiders
Tuesday, September 19: 4:30-6:00pm
- Topic: Résumé and Job Fair Tips from a Campus Recruiter
- Speaker(s): Meet Elle Pallugna, Program Manager, Talent Acquisition–Harris Health System
- Industry: Healthcare
Tuesday, September 26: 11:30am-1:00pm
- Topic: College Student Budgeting 101: Money and Time
- Speaker: Meet Michael Farris, Regional Director–Modern Woodmen of America
- Industry: Finance
Tuesday, October 3: 4:30-6:00pm
- Topic: Branding and Marketing Yourself as a HBU Husky
- Speaker: Meet Anthony Caridi, alumnus/Executive Recruiter
- Industry: Oil & Gas
Tuesday, October 17: 11:30am-1:00pm
- Topic: Valuable Interview and Job Search Tips from a Campus Recruiter
- Speaker: Meet Christine Koukas, Talent Acquisition Specialist–Enterprise Holdings
- Industry: Management
Tuesday, October 31: 11:30am-1:00pm
- Topic: Job Search and Application Strategies
- Speaker: Meet Special Agent Baker, Applicant Recruiter-Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Industry: Government
On the Menu:
- Chicken & Beef Sliders
- Meat/Cheese/Veggie Sampler
- Other “Lite Bites”
Location: Hinton Center, Room 108
If you are interested in participating in events like the Career Insider Series and being a blessing to our students and alumni, please send us an email: email@example.com
HBU Community Internships Program
The HBU Community Internships Program is centered around internship placement for HBU students. If you are interested in hiring Huskies for your organization, please fill out a Community Internship Partner application which includes the internship you would like to fill. The Office of Career and Calling assists all majors with locating internships as we have a diverse talent pool we would like to introduce to your organization.
American Dreams Lecture Series: Stories of Uncommon Valor & Career Success
This new Lecture Series brings intimate portraits of challenges and triumphs the invited speakers have endured while pursuing their American Dreams. American Dreams: Stories of Uncommon Valor & Career Success takes place in the fall and spring semesters and features alumni from Houston Baptist University as well as professionals from a variety of industries. Students and alumni as well as staff, faculty and business professionals are invited to attend this Lecture Series which is held in Belin Chapel.
Husky Corporate Sponsors Program
Become a Husky Corporate Sponsor today! This new and elite level of engagement with the Office of Career and Calling leads to the following;
- Top notch candidates leading student organizations advocating for your company to their peers
- Increased traffic to your company’s booth at Career Fairs
- Recruiters’ Delight – A full Interview Schedule for Campus Interviews
- Greater company brand awareness by students on campus who see your company swag and/or logo on the Office of Career and Calling T-Shirt, printed materials, and on our Social Media
- Graduate students and alumni with valuable skill-sets deciding to pursue a career with your company over your competitors
- Prestige in the community by associating your company with a new Lecture Series focused on the American Dream
Please contact The Office of Career and Calling to discuss the benefits of joining the Husky Corporate Sponsors program
4th Annual Employer Open House & Luncheon
We will be updating this page with the date for the 4th Annual Employer Open House & Luncheon soon! HIRE HUSKIES!
The 3rd Annual Employer Open House & Luncheon is an opportunity for Employers looking to recruit HBU students and alumni in the upcoming 2017-2018 school year to get the latest details about our upcoming fall & spring semester lineup of new Career Fairs, Professional Development Seminars and events, hear from University & Student Leaders, network with fellow Recruiters/Hiring managers and the Office of Career and Calling Staff, and of course have lunch on us. Lunch is FREE!
Open House Lineup:
- Networking with Colleagues over Lunch
- Introduction of Deans/University Leaders
- Introduction of Student Leaders
- Introduction of Keynote Speaker & Address
- Volunteering for 2017-2018 Professional Development Seminars-Overview of Events and Dates
- Introduction of new Career Fairs in 2017-2018 Rates, Location, Times, and how to Register
- Campus Recruitment Season and how to find candidates and setting up on campus interviews
- Career Service Awards for 2016-2017 Distinguished Employers & Students
- Drawing for Employer Gift Certificate
Here is how you can register to attend:
RSVP by logging into your Hire-A-Husky account via the link below and go to “Career Events” and search under “Workshops”. Find “2017 Employer Open House & Luncheon” and register for the event. You will need to create a new account in our Career Services portal if you have never posted a job at HBU.
Limit attendance to two representatives per organization.
REGISTER HERE: www.myinterfase.com/hbu/employer
2017 Employer Open House & Luncheon
Houston Baptist University
Thursday May 11, 2017, 10:00am-1:00pm
Hinton Center: First Floor Lobby
Please contact us if your organization is interested in sponsoring the Annual Employer Open House & Luncheon.
Hire-A-Husky Online Job Postings
Hire a Husky is the main online jobs database for all majors and disciplines on the HBU campus. Employers may sign in to Hire a Husky in order to post internships, part-time, and full-time positions as well as register for Career Development Workshops. You may also browse through resumes posted by HBU students and alumni. Click on Hire a Husky to get started.
Majors & Degrees offered at HBU
Majors & Degrees offered at HBU
Our students and alumni stand out in the crowd, because of their spiritual knowledge, their mastering of the latest business concepts in the classroom and awareness of the respective industry best practices. If you are looking for a dynamic and highly motivated addition to your team, Career and Calling can connect you with top talent! Browse our Undergraduate Majors and Programs as well as Master & Doctoral degrees to get an idea of which majors you would like to recruit here at HBU!
Follow us on Social Media
The Office of Career and Calling posts updates regarding events, job postings, employer and student highlights and more on our social media pages;
If you would like your business highlighted on social media, just send us an email with pertinent information and a photo/company logo and we will post!