The Parent and Family Association had it’s first meeting on Sunday, October 28th at 6PM. Please review the following summary to stay up to date on the operations of the Parent and Family Association… if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to email@example.com or call (281) 649-3652.
Recap of the First Meeting
- Decisions on what Membership to the Parent and Family Association looks like:
- The group had decided that the cost to join the Parent and Family Association would be $50/year with the new year beginning every June-May. If a member decides to join in the Spring, their membership would cost $30 and be good only for that spring semester (January-May).
- Membership will begin this upcoming Spring and cover from January 2019-May 2019 (The cost of this first membership cycle for the Spring 2019 will be $30.)
- All membership fees include two family members, any additional family members will be $10/person.
- Benefits of being a YEARLY member will include a Parent and Family Association T-Shirt (t-shirts to be designed in the Spring 2019 and distributed in the Fall 2019), monthly parent and family association only updates, invitations to bi-semesterly Parent and Family Association meetings, and an exclusive opportunity to engage with either the Associate Provost for Student Life or the President of HBU (depending on availability) at Family Weekend.
- The Parent and Family Association will exist with a formal structure of a Board starting in June 2019. This includes positions such as a President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and any other positions that are deemed necessary and will report to the Coordinator of First and Second Year Experience in HBU’s Department of Student Life.
- The Parent and Family Association in the Spring 2019 will discuss and implement a system for the positions of this board as well as elections for this Board.
- You must be a member of the Parent and Family Association to run for any Board position.
- For the Spring 2019, the Parent and Family Association will continue to operate under the direction of the Coordinator of First and Second Year Experience and the Department of Student Life.
- What is to still be decided:
- Set up a donation fund through HBU Development office for Families to donate directly to the Parent and Family Association
- The Parent and Family Association Logo is being revamped and redesigned by our Marketing and Development Team. The Association next semester as well as the Department of Student Life will have final approval of this logo.
- Other ideas for events/opportunities that were discussed:
- Help sponsor student events and programs on campus
- Fundraiser for the Parent and Family Association through selling care packages for students during midterms and finals.
- Discuss how to get more involvement at sporting events (sponsor a tailgate at one of the games)
- Have further involvement at HBU Preview Days and Orientations to have the opportunity to talk to parents of incoming students to HBU about being involved as a parent/family member.
FIRST EVENT INFO!!
- The first Parent and Family Association event will take place on Tuesday, December 4th from 830PM-11PM ** (This date was changed from the discussed date in the meeting due to the Academic Success Center suggesting this would be a better, more well-attended date than the previously discussed date.)
- This event will be in partnership with the Academic Success Center and their ‘Late Night Snacks’ event for students studying for Finals.
- If you are interested in volunteering your time to be present at this event, please sign up for a time to work at: https://goo.gl/forms/3DnRTphEMfbzEd9n2
- If you are interested in donating items/food for this event, please sign up for a food item at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0a48afad2fa7ff2-parent
- **If you are planning on shipping the item or dropping the item off at Alex Hersperger’s office BEFORE the event, please call Alex Hersperger in advance for approval at (281) 649-3652 or send an email at firstname.lastname@example.org