About Santiago de Compostela, Spain
The capital of Galicia, Santiago de Compostela is a renowned community known as the end point of the Camino de Santiago (the Way of St. James) and a UNESCO World Heritage site. This summer, we are going to the University of Santiago de Compostela — one of the oldest European universities!
Are you ready? Your stay in Santiago de Compostela would provide you with the opportunity to meet people from all over the world: students and thousands of visitors concluding their pilgrimage trips in Santiago.
You will participate in the Feast of Saint James, walk part of the Camino, travel to local attractions, immerse yourself in the culture, discover the enigmatic streets of Santiago, and enjoy the Spanish way of life — vibrant summer street fairs, medieval markets, free concerts and much more — while learning Spanish.
JUNE 29 – JULY 24, 2020
NOTE: Students must arrive to Santiago de Compostela on June 27, 2020.
Students will depart from Santiago on July 25, 2020.
- Personalized, friendly attention.
- Intensive Schedule: 80 teaching hours, 4 weeks, 2 courses for a total of 6 credits.
- Various Spanish Levels: transferable into HBU curriculum. Placement of students in the appropriate level is based on the course equivalency form. There is no need to know Spanish in advance.
- Daily Activities: interactive lectures, cultural visits and sports which will make Spanish culture come to life!
- Native professors who may only speak in Spanish.
- Daily Language Practice: enhanced by living with a carefully chosen Spanish host family.
- Excellent Facilities: classrooms, spacious yards, plazas, sport facilities, wireless Internet, etc.
The online application for this summer’s program will be available through April.
Six credits transfer
Beginning (3 credits each)
- SPAN 1314 Beginning Spanish Proficiency I
- SPAN 1324 Beginning Spanish Proficiency II
Intermediate (3 credits each)
- SPAN 2314 Continuing Spanish Proficiency I
- SPAN 2324 Continuing Spanish Proficiency II
Advanced (3 credits each)
- SPAN 3321 Individualized Spanish Proficiency (Special Topics)
- SPAN 3335 Individualized Spanish Proficiency (Spanish Writing Workshop)
The cost of the program fee is approximately $3,557 and $3,857 for medical internship, covering tuition, accommodations with a host family, three meals, transfers while in Santiago, laundry services, medical insurance while in Santiago, cultural activities and programmed activities and excursions.
The program fee DOES NOT includes airfare.
The payment schedule for this program is as follows:
- November 1st – $250 deposit
- March 4th – $1000
- April 6th – $1000
- May 4th – remaining balance
NOTE: the final cost of the program may change based on factors beyond our control (Euro/dollar exchange rate fluctuation). If a price change occurs, if will be reflected in the last installment of the payment due May 4th.
Pell Grant recipients may fill out the application form for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship to apply for this life-changing opportunity. Students will be notified with the link to complete their registration and first payment (deposit).
This internship program aims to enhance your Spanish communication skills in a hands-on workplace environment.
We offer internships in different fields, ranging from health services, to education, and business, design to fit your academic and career goals.
The program combines internship hours and course hours for students who are interested in using their intermediate or advanced Spanish-language skills in professional settings.
Previous Study Abroad Trip