Department of Apologetics
What is an apologist? What is apologetics theology?
Apologetics is a branch of Christian theology that defends Christianity against objections. Christian apologists give reasons for the hope that is within us (1 Peter 3:15) to help people come to faith in Christ. We challenge false ideas that form obstacles to belief in Christ, and that give rise to disorder in human persons and in society (2 Cor 10:3-5). Within the church, we help Christians have a stronger faith and live out Christ’s call to love God with our heart, mind, soul and strength (1 Tim 1:5).
What can I do with this degree?
- Go on to further graduate study
- Teach in a variety of disciplines
- Engage in ministry in local churches, parachurch ministry, and Christian schools
- Create film, art, music, and literature from a Christian perspective
- Develop new approaches to ministry within professional fields
Our partnership with Ratio Christi provides additional opportunities for employment or ministry work as an apologist on college campuses.
Why Study Apologetics at HBU?
- Outstanding faculty – top scholars and public intellectuals
- Academic rigor – the academic foundation for further study at the PhD level, as well as for further academic work in philosophy, theology or the humanities
- Mentoring – one-on-one attention to help students succeed in their studies and their ministry work
- Emphasis on effective communication – helping students develop excellence in writing, speaking and other modes of engagement
- Attention to spiritual growth – so that students will grow in faith, as well as in knowledge and skills
- Hands-on experience – conferences, faculty scholarship, cultural and arts programs, and online engagement will give students opportunities to gain practical experience
- A ‘mere Christian’ focus – the program is designed to serve the whole body of Christ and welcomes Catholic and Orthodox as well as Protestant students
In addition to our Houston-based residential program, the program is also available online. There is no residency requirement and we welcome international students.
Contact Dr. Marybeth Baggett for details.
At HBU, you will take small classes with top scholars and public intellectuals, who are also active in apologetics ministry, writing, speaking and cutting-edge academic scholarship.