Marriage and Family Therapy | MFT Degree

HBU Online Learning Program

HBU Online was recently ranked #21 of the best marriage and family counseling degrees online as well as the “Most Comprehensive Program.”

About the Degree

The Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy (MA-LMFT) program is designed to provide graduate coursework to those seeking to work with couples and families as a licensed marriage and family therapist. The MFT degree emphasizes the development of research-supported counseling skills. There will be classes offered online, but there are required on-campus classes due to state mandates.

The coursework provided meets the academic requirements for licensure as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in the state of Texas. Students complete a three-semester practicum, consisting of a minimum of 700 clock hours, in a University-approved counseling setting under the supervision of a licensed marriage and family therapist supervisor (LMFT-S), as part of the MFT degree plan. Before becoming a LMFT, the graduate must pass the MFT Jurisprudence Exam and complete a minimum of two years of supervised work experience (3,000 hours) in marriage and family therapy services.

Before becoming an MFT, the graduate must pass the national licensure examination administered by the Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Board (AMFTRB) or the State of California marriage and family therapy licensure examination as well as the state Jurisprudence Exam and complete a supervised work experience (3,000 hours) in marriage and family therapy services under the supervision of an LMFT-S.


This MFT degree program is 60 hours of graduate coursework. Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0, complete all courses with a grade of “C” or higher, and satisfactorily complete a comprehensive examination.

This program includes two 16 week intensives, requiring each student to be on campus for one week during each intensive course.

View the Degree Completion Plan.

For students seeking certification or licensure inside the State of Texas: Programs offered at HBU designed to fulfill the educational requirements for a specific professional licensure or certification do meet the educational requirements for the State of Texas.

For students seeking certification or licensure outside the State of Texas: Students seeking certification or licensure from any state other than Texas should check with their state licensing board to determine eligibility. Houston Baptist University has not determined whether their program of study meets the students state licensure requirements. Please check the following link for more information.

Admissions Requirements

Official Transcripts – For students pursuing licensure, you are required to submit ALL of your transcripts to the Graduate School.

References – Applicants must provide contact information for two (2) references on their application. References must be professional or academic contacts. Friends and family members should not be listed as references.

Resumé/CV – Email a current resumé or CV to The Online Graduate School at

Writing Prompt – Applicants must provide a response, at least 500 words but not more than 800 words total, to the following questions:

  • What is the purpose of being a mental health practitioner?
  • What are the characteristics that make you a good counselor? In which of these do you excel? How do you know?
  • Why do you want to pursue a graduate degree in Counseling and why here at Houston Baptist University?
  • Given your history and circumstances, describe any challenges that could prevent you from completion of this degree and how you might address them should they arise.


Candidate Presentation– Applicants may choose between attending a virtual interview with the admissions team or submitting a 10-12 minute video responding to predetermined questions. This will take place during the second phase of the admissions process.

What students are saying…


Houston Baptist University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees.