Houston Baptist University (HBU) President Dr. Robert Sloan congratulated spring graduates of the Class of 2022 for their dedication and persistence in crossing the finish line in achieving their academic goals. Families and friends gathered on Friday, May 13, at Husky Stadium for an outdoor commencement ceremony to mark the occasion.
“It is a privilege for us to be a part of this process, this pilgrimage that they have gone through, and to be able to celebrate with them on this occasion,” Dr. Sloan told attendees.
The commencement ceremony included the third largest graduating class in HBU’s history with 461 graduates, bringing the number of students who have received degrees since HBU’s first commencement in 1967 to a total of 24,570 graduates, shared HBU Provost Dr. Stanley Napper.
Several graduates achieved a number of notable firsts as diplomas were handed out to the first graduating class of seniors from the College of Science and Engineering, the first graduate students receiving Doctor of Education, EDd, degrees in Executive Leadership in Mental Health and Human Services from the College of Education & Behavioral Sciences and the first student to complete the BA to MDiv program in the School of Christian Thought. The ceremony also featured the largest graduating classes from the School of Christian Thought and the College of Arts and Humanities.
“It fills me with great pride to see our students meet their academic goals. I am confident that our graduates have been given a toolbox to make a big impact in their fields and be leaders in the name of Christ,” said HBU Director of Academic Records Jean Tarrats.
Highlights of the milestones and notable achievements of the Spring Class of 2022 are provided below:
- First class of engineering students from the College of Science & Engineering to receive their diplomas
- First cohort of graduate students to earn Doctor of Education, EDd, degrees in Executive Leadership in Mental Health and Human Services from the College of Education & Behavioral Sciences
- First student to complete the BA to MDIV program in the School of Christian Thought
- Largest graduating class from the School of Christian Thought
- Largest graduating class from the College of Arts and Humanities
- Second largest graduating class from the College of Science and Engineering
- Fourth largest graduating class from the Archie W. Dunham College of Business
- Fifth largest graduating class from the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
- Tenth largest graduating class from the School of Nursing and Allied Health, and
- Awarded more degrees in the 2021-2022 academic year (including summer ’21, fall ’21, and spring ’22) than in any other academic year with a total of 974 degrees awarded.
We extend congratulations to each member of the Class of 2022.