Student Experience: Leah Townsend

The News Magazine of HCU

I researched HBU and loved that it was a smaller school with smaller class sizes because that is what I was used to. I loved that it was in Houston, one of the most diverse cities in the United States. I also loved that it was a Christian school, so I would be free to speak and learn more about my faith.

My major is Elementary Education. After graduation, I plan on getting a teaching position in Houston. My long-term goal would be to teach English overseas.

As a freshman, the first organization I joined was a sorority, Phi Mu. Next, I joined Student Government Association. I later joined Alpha Delta Pi Honor Society, Order of Omega Honor Society, and Alpha Chi Honor Society. My sophomore year, I became a resident assistant and continued in that position for three years. My junior year, I accepted a position as a writing tutor at the Academic Success Center. My senior year, I became a member of Student Foundation, where we served under the Office of the President.

These experiences have made my college years worthwhile. The people I have met and the leader I have become are all because of the organizations and positions I was a part of in my college career. I have grown so much since I first started college. I have learned how to lead others, speak publicly, and prioritize my responsibilities. Because of the experiences I have had, I can say that I am prepared for life after college.