There’s Always Next Weekend

There’s Always Next Weekend

The canicular days of August left me too lethargic to leave the house on August 4, and that might have been an error on my part. I don’t regret missing “Christopher Robin” and “Eighth Grade,” but recent reviews tell me that I may have overlooked the virtues of “The Spy Who Dumped Me” and “The Darkest Minds.” I don’t know if I will try to catch either of those next weekend, but I will consider them. Of course, I might also stay home again and finish re-reading George Eliot’s “Middlemarch” for the seventh or eighth time.

I can’t say that I am thrilled at the prospect of “The Meg” next weekend; the trailers make it look like “Jaws” on steroids. I don’t know if I will want to sink my teeth into that one. I still have plenty of books at home that need reading; this summer I have thoroughly relished Louise Penny’s Inspector Gamache series of Canadian mysteries and David Morrell’s Victorian noir trilogy about Thomas De Quincey, the notorious “opium-eater.” Morrell has come a long way since he created John Rambo.

© 2020 Houston Baptist University