Expectations of Students
For the health concerns of many members of the Husky family and their extended networks of friends and family, we ask you to commit to the following actions for the protection and wellbeing of others:
- Testing and quarantining: I agree that I will be tested for COVID-19 if I am experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19, have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, and if the HBU Director of Student Life or other university administrators determine that it is reasonable to do so and requests me to do so. I agree that I will cooperate and share information with HBU through the COVID-19 Positive testing steps if my test is positive. If I test positive for COVID-19, I agree to follow HBU’s guidance for quarantining and the steps for reporting and returning to campus.
- Personal hygiene: I will wash my hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer for at least 20 seconds frequently throughout the day. I will use proper respiratory etiquette (coughing or sneezing into a tissue or my upper arm).
- Social distancing: I will consider social distancing where possible and when in close quarters except when I am in my room or suite with the people who live in that room or suite or I am engaged in other activities authorized by the university that do not require distancing (athletics, certain academic activities).
- Wearing a mask: I will consider wearing a mask whenever I enter a building and while I am in a public space inside a building, including in classrooms. I understand the university does not mandate masking but highly encourages when appropriate.
- Sanitizing common areas: I will sanitize common areas after I use them, such as the faucet in the restroom, exercise equipment in the Bradshaw Fitness Center, a computer in a computer lab, or my desk in a classroom. (Sanitizing wipes or spray bottles and paper towels may be provided at many places around campus.)
- Off-campus: I will engage in these behaviors both on and off campus as much as possible.
- Graceful cooperation and accountability: I will cooperate as gracefully as possible with HBU faculty, staff and students when the inevitable conflicts emerge over these expectations and the best ways to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. I will hold others accountable for following these expectations with a similar grace and love as is embodied in the example of Christ.
We hope that these actions will help to lower the risk of a widespread outbreak of COVID-19 on campus, an outbreak that could involve quarantining many of us for 10 days or more or even, in drastic circumstances, the closing of our face-to-face operations again. We also recognize that the circumstances and information could change during the academic year, and we may need to alter or revise our current plans to reflect new information. Safety is a team effort, and we will all need to work together and hold each other accountable in order to minimize the risk of COVID-19 on campus this year. We will require students and campus visitors to follow these guidelines while on campus.