August 2020 Graduation Ceremony Cancellation
Monday, July 06, 2020
Earning your degree is years in the making and a commendable achievement for everyone who has earned a bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate degree from HBU. HBU graduation ceremonies are joyful occasions in which loved ones celebrate with graduates. The University president, leadership, faculty and staff all send alumni on with blessings for a bright future.
In 2020, our traditional May commencement ceremony plans were disrupted due to the COVID-19 crisis. We planned eagerly to celebrate the May and Summer 2020 graduates at an August 8, 2020 ceremony, but since that time, HBU has received further state and local guidance on sizable gatherings.
In compliance with the governor’s directives, and in an abundance of caution, we must inform you that the Saturday, August 8, 2020 commencement ceremony is cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience and disappointment this may cause; we look forward to a future date when we can celebrate together. Although graduation looks different this year, we still applaud you. Together or apart, you’ll always be part of the Husky Pack!
Graduates, we invite you to come to the M.D. Anderson Student Center on campus between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. to pick up your cap and gown, your diploma*, and a gift from the Office of Alumni Relations according to the schedule below:
- Tuesday, July 14, 2020 – Last names starting with “A” through “C”
- Wednesday, July 15, 2020 – Last names starting with “D” through “I”
- Thursday, July 16, 2020 – Last names starting with “J” through “N”
- Friday, July 17, 2020 – Last names starting with “O” through “Z”
- Monday, July 20, 2020 – Open for those unable to come at your date above
- Tuesday, July 21, 2020 – Open for those unable to come at your date above
Those who come on July 20 or July 21 will need to go to each of the three offices — Office of the Registrar, Bookstore, and Office of Alumni Relations — to pick up items.
State and local guidelines are to be followed while you are on campus, which means you will need to wear a mask. If you would like someone else to pick up your items for you, please email Grad@HBU.edu with the name of the individual who will be coming for you. Please include your name and student number in your email. Graduates who are not able to pick up their items may schedule an appointment to do so by calling the Office of the Registrar at 281-649-3213 or sending an email to Grad@HBU.edu. Finally, if you cannot send someone on your behalf or make an appointment to pick up your items, please provide your mailing address at Grad@HBU.edu.
We will be sending you information at a later date regarding when we will be celebrating you and your accomplishment of graduating from HBU. Congratulations!
* In order to receive your diploma (as well as review grades and/or request transcripts) any balance you may have must be paid in full. For the convenience of those who may have a balance, payments can be made online as follows:
- Log in to HuskyNet
- Select “Student & Financial Aid”
- Select “HBU-Make a Payment/Payment Plan”
- Click “Continue”