- Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Program Coordinator for Computer Science (BS) and Information Systems (BS)
- PhD in Information Systems and Information Security, College of Engineering and Computing, Nova Southeastern University
- MS in Library and Information Sciences, Florida State University
- BS in Computer Science, Kentucky State University
Courses Taught at HBU
- Introduction to Computer Programming (COSC 1351)
- Intermediate Computer Programming (COSC 1352)
- Systems Programming (COSC 2352)
- Operating Systems (COSC 2353)
- Theory of Computing (COSC 3352)
Courses Taught at Florida State University, Panama City (2013-2018)
- Ethics and Computer Science (CIS3250)
- Introduction to Computer Security (CIS4360)
- Spreadsheets for Business (CGS2518)
- Ethical Issues in Computer Science (CGS4092)
- Foundations of Information Systems Management (ISM3011)
- Quantitative Methods for Business (QMB3200)
- Microcomputer Applications for Business (CGS2100)
- Hands-on project-based learning in computer science and cyber engineering in order to equip students with a foundation of knowledge to apply to their life and workplace.
Research Interests and Publications
- Hakim, Z., Levy, Y., & Carlton, M. (2019). Business leaders’ resistance to collaborate with law enforcement agencies in protecting their firms from cyber-attacks. Refereed Extended Abstract Proceedings of the KM Conference 2019, Warsaw, Poland, p. 35.
- Carlton, M., Levy, Y., & Ramim, M. M. (2019). Mitigating cyber attacks through the measurement of non-IT professionals’ cybersecurity skills. Information and Computer Security, 27(1), 101-121. https://doi.org/10.1108/ICS-11-2016-0088
- Carlton, M., Levy, Y., & Ramim, M. (2018). Validation of a vignettes-based, hands-on cybersecurity threats situational assessment tool. Online Journal of Applied Knowledge Management (OJAKM), 6(1), p. 107-118.
- Carlton, M., & Levy, Y. (2017). Cybersecurity skills: Cybersecurity skills: Foundational theory and the cornerstone of advanced persistent threats (APTs) mitigation. Online Journal of Applied Knowledge Management (OJAKM), 5(2), 16-28.
- Carlton, M., Levy, Y., Ramim, M., & Terrell, S. (2016). Development of the MyCyberSkills™ iPad app: A scenarios-based, hands-on measure of non-IT professionals’ cybersecurity skills. Proceedings of the Tenth Pre-ICIS Workshop on Information Security and Privacy, Ft. Worth, Texas, pp. 1-12.
- Carlton, M., & Levy, Y. (2015). Expert assessment of the top platform independent cybersecurity skills of non-IT professionals. Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE SoutheastCon, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, pp. 1-6. doi:10.1109/SECON.2015.7132932
- Carlton, M., Levy, Y., & Ramim, M. (2019). Mitigating cyber attacks through the measurement of non-IT professionals’ cybersecurity skills. Information & Computer Security, 27(1), 101-121. https://doi.org/10.1108/ICS-11-2016-0088
Committee Service/Offices Held
- Academic SACSCOC reviewer (2019)
- Academic SACSCOC writer for Computer Science and Cyber Engineering programs (2018, 2019)
- Computer Science Program Coordinator (2018, 2019)
- Faculty Assembly Executive Committee – Representative (2018, 2019)
- Academic Technology Advisory Group (ATAG) – Representative (2018, 2019)
- Associate Provost Search Committee – College of Engineering Representative (Fall 2018)
Awards and Honors
- Florida State University’s Provost’s 90% List – At least 90% of the students ranked Carlton in the “Excellent or Above Satisfactory” category (2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017).
- Student of the Year Finalist, Nova Southeastern University – College of Engineering & Computer, Lauderdale, Florida. (April 2016).
- Outstanding Employee Award, Florida State University, Panama City, Florida (May 2002).
- President’s Award, Kentucky State University, Frankfort, Kentucky, (April 2000).
Previous Academic/Professional Positions
- Assistant Teaching Faculty, Florida State University, Panama City, (2013-2018)
- Associate Director of Contracts & Grants, Florida State University, Panama City, (2012-2017)
- Assistant Director of Technology, Office of Technology, Florida State University, Panama City, (2006-2012)
- HBU’s College of Engineering’s National Cyber League, Team Coach (2018-present)
- Institutional Review Board (IRB), Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) – Certified in Protection of Human Research Subjects (Expires 07/2020)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), member (2013 – present)
- Association of Computing Machinery, member (2013 – present)
- Association for Information Systems (AIS), Special Interest Group – Security (SIGSEC) (2015-present)
- Program Co-Chair, International Institute for Applied Knowledge Management’s KM Conference 2019, Warsaw, Poland, (http://iiakm.org/conference/KM2019/index.php).