- Professor of Mathematics
- Dean, College of Science and Engineering
- PhD, Mathematics, Virginia Tech
- MS, Mathematics, Virginia Tech
- BS, Mathematics, Morehead State University
Courses Taught At HBU
- MATH 1305: Math for Critical Thinking
Courses Taught at Oregon State University (2004-2005) and Louisiana Tech University (2005-2021)
- Real and Functional Analysis
- Mathematics Senior Research Capstone
- Numerical Methods with MATLAB
- Numerical Analysis
- Calculus I-III
- Differential Equations
- College Algebra
- First Year Engineering sequence
- Engineering Dynamics
- Mechanical Engineering Methods
Dr. Evans’ teaching interests include applied and computational mathematics, especially where she can showcase the mathematics of engineering applications.
Research Interests and Publications
Dr. Evans’ early research interests included mathematical modeling and control of physical systems governed by partial differential equations, with later interests shifting toward engineering education and the inclusion of women and underrepresented minorities in STEM. To support her work, and in collaboration with others, Dr. Evans has been awarded over $5M as PI or Co-PI on federal, state, and local grants. She also served as the Workforce Development lead (Senior Personnel) on a $6M interinstitutional/interstate EPSCoR project. She also served as the Chair of 6 PhD students and 3 MS students.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Carpenter, G.W., H.G. Myers, E.A.Sherer, K.A. Evans, and D.P. O’Neal, “Closed-loop intravenous drug administration usingphotoplethysmography,” IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine, 6(1), 1-8, 2018.
- Kelly, K.C., K.A. Evans, M.Paun, M.A.DeCoster, “Use of randomized submaximal glutamate stimulus to interpret glial effects on neuronal calcium dynamics,” Neurochemistry & Neuropharmacology Open Access 1:107. doi:10.4172/2469-9780.1000107, 2016.
- Chakravarthy, A., K.A. Evans, L.M. Kuhn, and J.B. Walters, “Frequency and time domain analysis of anaeroelastic wing multiple component structure,” Numerical Functional Analysis and Optimization, 36(9), 1122-1152, 2015.
- Schröder, B.S.W., J.B. Walters, and K.A. Evans, “ACacciopoli-type inequality to prove coercivity of a bilinear form associated with spatial hysteresis internal damping for an Euler-Bernoulli beam,” Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, 425, 520-535, 2015.
- Batten, B.A. and K.A. Evans, “Reduced order compensators via balancing and central control design for a structural control problem,”International Journal of Control, 83(3), 563-574, 2010.
- Batten King, B.A., N.Hovakimyan, K.A. Evans, and M. Buhl, “Reduced order controllers for distributed parameter systems: LQG balanced truncation and an adaptive approach,”Mathematical and Computer Modeling. vol. 43, no. 9-10, 1136-1149, 2006.
- Evans, K., M.Konikoff, J. J. Madden, R. Mathis, and G. Whipple, “Totally ordered commutative monoids,”Semigroup Forum, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 249-278, 2001.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Conference Papers
- Evans, K.A., M.Apter-Desselles, M.K. Orr, “Year 3 of an S-STEM Summer Scholarship for a Sophomore Bridge Program,” Executive Summary, NSF Grantee’s Poster Session, Proceedings of the 2020 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, virtual, June 2020.
- Walters, J.B. and K.A. Evans, “Proof of Well-Posednessfor a Flexible-Wing Micro Air Vehicle Model Control Problem Incorporating Spatial Hysteresis,”2019 American Control Conference, Philadelphia, PA, July 2019.
- Evans, K.A. and K.St.Amant, “Structure of Professional Components for a Multidisciplinary REU Program,”Proceedings of the 2019 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Tampa, FL, https://peer.asee.org/33287, June 2019.
- Evans, K.A., M.Apter-Desselles, M.K. Orr, “Year 2 of an S-STEM Summer Scholarship for a Sophomore Bridge Program,”Executive Summary, NSF Grantee’s Poster Session, Proceedings of the 2019 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Tampa, FL, June 2019.
- Chambers, A.P. and K.A. Evans, “Validation of Spatial Hysteresis as the Internal Damping Mechanism in an Unmanned Micro Air Vehicle Model,”2018 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control,Miami, FL, December 2018.
- Evans, K.A., M.Apter-Desselles, D.E. Hall, and M.K. Orr, “S-STEM Summer Scholarship for a Sophomore Bridge: Year 1 in Review,” Executive Summary and Poster,NSF Grantee’s Poster Session, 2018 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Salt Lake City, UT, June 2018.
- Corbett, K.S., K.A. Evans, S McAdams, J.Gaudin, M.A. Walker, and T.S. Fontenot, “Work in Progress: Developing a Model for Student-led Peer Mentorship Programs,”2018 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Salt Lake City, UT, June 2018.
- Reis, L.G., S.Cronk, K. Evans, and D.Cahoy, “WIP: An on-going analysis of the impact of assigning online thermodynamic homework in place of traditional homework,” Proceedings of the 2017 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Columbus, OH. 10.18260/p.18197, June 2017.
- Swanbom, M., M. Collins, and K. Evans, “Development and preliminary assessment of an open-source, online homework suite for Advanced Mechanics of Materials usingWeBWorK,” Proceedings of the 2017 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Columbus, OH. 10.18260/p.18927, June 2017.
- Evans, K., P. Hummel, and M. Gates, “An expanded study to assess the effect of online homework on student learning in a first circuits course,”Proceedings of the 2016 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, New Orleans, LA. 10.18260/p.26588, June 2016.
- Swanbom, M.K., D.W. Moller, K. Evans, and T. Reeves, “Open-source, online homework for statics and mechanics of materials usingWeBWorK: Assessing effects on student learning,” Proceedings of the 2016 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, New Orleans, LA. 10.18260/p.25835, June 2016.
- Evans, K.A., P. Hummel, and M. Gates, “Assessing the effect of online homework on student learning in a first circuits course,”Proceedings of the 2015 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Seattle, WA. 10.18260/p.23586, June 2015.
- Walters, J.B., K.A. Evans, A.Chakravarthy, and L.M. Kuhn, “A comparison of morphing control strategies for a flexible wing micro air vehicle model incorporating spatial hysteresis damping,”Proceedings of the 2014 Conference on Decision and Control, Los Angeles, CA, 583-588, invited, 2 peer reviews, 60% acceptance rate, December 2014.
- Bracey, S.S. and K.A. Evans, “Analysis of tracking control designs for a delay differential equation model used in the study of nanoparticle dosing strategies,”Proceedings of the 2014 American Control Conference, Portland, OR, 353-358, invited, 3 peer reviews, 67% acceptance rate, June 2014.
- Adhikari, P., S.S. Bracey, K.A. Evans, I. Magana, D.P. O’Neal, “LQR tracking of a delay differential equation model for the study of nanoparticle dosing strategies for cancer therapy,”Proceedings of the 2013 American Control Conference, Washington, DC, 2010-2015, invited, 3 peer reviews, 61% acceptance rate, June 2013.
Committee Service/Offices Held
During her years at Louisiana Tech University, she served in a variety of capacities, including:
- Louisiana Tech Grand Challenge Scholars Program (2009-2021, Director: 2013-2014)
- Louisiana Tech Strategic Planning (2018-2020)
- Bridge to Bulldogs (2014-2021)
- College of Engineering and Science Strategic Planning (2011-2013)
- Computational Analysis and Modeling PhD Steering Committee (2010-2021)
- University Senate (2008-2011)
- LaTechSTEP (2005-2012)
Awards and Honors
- Professor Emerita, Louisiana Tech University (2021)
- Inaugural class of the Louisiana Tech Leadership Institute (2018-19)
- Louisiana Tech Foundation Professorship Award (2017)
- Virgil Orr Junior Faculty Award, Louisiana Tech University (2011)
- US Air Force Summer Faculty Fellow (2009, 2010)
- Entergy LP&L/NOPSI #3 & #4 Professorships, Louisiana Tech University (2005-2021)
- Walter Koss Professorship, Louisiana Tech University (2009-2015)
- Mathematical Association of America Project NExT Fellow (2006-2007)
- Phi Kappa Phi Award of Excellence (1999)
Previous Academic/Professional Positions
16 years on the faculty of Louisiana Tech University in variety of academic and administrative capacities, including
- Associate Dean of Strategic Initiatives; Professor of Mathematics and Statistics; Director, Mathematics and Statistics and Online Programs (2017 – 2021)
- Director, Office for Women in Science and Engineering (2015-2021)
- Director, Integrated STEM Education Research Center (2014-2021)
- Director, Mathematics and Statistics and Industrial Engineering (2014-2017)
- Associate Professor of Mathematics and Statistics (2011-2017)
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics and Statistics (2005-2011)
Postdoctoral Associate, Mechanical Engineering, Oregon State University (2004-2005)
- Interim Executive Committee, Grand Challenges Scholars Program, founded by the National Academy of Engineering (2020-present)
- Chair, Grand Challenges Scholars Program (founded by the National Academy of Engineering, New Programs Committee (2019-present)
- National Science Foundation College of Reviewers for Undergraduate Education (2018-present)
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine Gulf Scholars Program Ad-Hoc Committee (2019-2020)
Dr. Evans is a member of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE).
Dr. Evans is married to Dr. W. Davis Harbour (engineering), and they share two children. Dr. Evans enjoys spending time with her family and being active in church.
Member, North Hodge Assembly of God, North Hodge, LA (2006-present)
Ministry roles: Church Choir, Sunday School teacher, nursery worker, VBS staff, by-laws committee