- MBA, Rice University Jones Graduate School of Business, Houston, Texas
- MS, Computer Science, Kent State University, Ohio
- BS, Computer Science, Kent State University, Ohio
The World of Business
Principles of Management
Entrepreneurship and New Venture Development
Entrepreneurial Creativity and Opportunity Recognition
Developing the Business Plan for the New Venture
Entrepreneurial Praxis: Integrating the Emerging Venture Experience
Professor Frey’s teaching focuses upon developing creative, inventive and bold leaders who will problem-solve from an entrepreneurial perspective. He values equipping students with the skills they need for effective business creation and development within a free-market system, while embracing the importance of a strong ethical foundation.
Research Interests and Publications
Frey is completing a Doctor of Philosophy from Case Western Reserve University’s Weatherhead School of Business. His research is on the wellbeing and sustainability of c-level executives, especially entrepreneurs and founders in the nonprofit sector, and how a leader’s personal and professional sustainability impacts effectiveness and business outcomes.
- Frey, J.D., Nonprofit CEO Sustainability: Maintaining Personal Wellbeing and Effective Organizational Leadership Over the Long Haul. Doctorate of Management Thesis, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, 2016.
Professor Frey has shared his expertise as a mentor, coach and judge in numerous pitch and business plan competitions. He’s served as co-chair, panelist, presenter and keynote speaker at academic and professional conferences, including:
- Business Negotiation and Case Study” International Chinese Christian Business Association, Houston, TX, April 21, 2018.
- Design Thinking in Healthcare” Rice University, Houston, TX, March 2, 2018.
- New Age Frontline Technologies” Organizational Frontlines Research Symposium, New Orleans, LA, February 22, 2018.
- How is our technology changing the free market?” The State of the Nation, Institute for Humane Studies, George Mason University, Houston, TX, February 20.2018.
- Leading Well and the Wellbeingo of Leaders” Dare to Fly Higher Podcast, Houston, TX, January 16, 2018.
- Spiritual Leadership Wellbeing” V. Michael McKay’s Truth Radio, 90.9 KTSU, Houston, TX, January 14, 2018.
- A Model for Nonprofit Leader Sustainability” Association for Research on Nonprofit and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA), Grand Rapids, MI, 2017.
- Elevating Executive Wellbeing” Decision Sciences Institute (DSI), Washington, DC, 2017, 2016.
- Elevating the Wellbeing of Nonprofit Executives” Association for Research on Nonprofit and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA), Washington, DC, 2016.
- Experience Innovation in Healthcare Institutions” Texas Regional HiMSS Conference, Houston, TX, 2016.
- SXSW Accelerator Pitch Event, Austin, TX, 2015.
- Co-chair Institute for Health Technology Transformation (iHT2) Health IT Summit, Houston, TX, 2015.
- Health 2.0 Keynote, Silicon Valley, CA, 2014.
- Transforming Digital Healthcare” MEST Conference (Medicine, Energy, Space and Tech), Houston, TX, 2014.
- The Future of Collaboration” BoxWorks, San Francisco, CA, 2014.
- Ektron… and Six Blind Men” Synergy Keynote, Las Vegas, NV, 2011.
- How to Create Pro-Quality Podcasts on Campus” Higher Ed Hero, Webinar, 2009.
- Podcasting in Education” Campus Technology, Boston MA, 2008.
- Creating and Running a Successful On-Campus Cost-Recovery Technology Solution Department” Educause, Orlando, FL 2008.
Previous Academic / Professional Positions
- Director of Innovation, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Assistant Director, Technology Solutions, Rice University
- International Application Development Manager, McDermott International
Professor Frey serves as the founding academic director of the McNair Center, overseeing curriculum development and execution of the Master of Science in Management and Entrepreneurship degree program.
Frey has worked for, and conducted research with, numerous global businesses on innovation, application development, emerging technology and digital user experience. His work has driven new ventures in sectors including healthcare, finance, nonprofit, education, energy and science and has helped create intrapreneurship programs using strategic innovation cultural shifts, design thinking, rapid technology prototyping and commercialization.
An entrepreneur in his own right, Frey has launched successful companies, and is currently involved in a healthcare venture as a direct result of his research that assists leaders in elevating their personal and professional wellbeing.
A husband to Stephanie, and father of two boys, Wesley and Colton, Frey serves as a worship leader in his church, and is a running coach and triathlete.