- Associate Professor of Biology
- Chair, Department of Biology and Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Program Coordinator for Biology, BS
- PhD in Biomedical Sciences, University of Texas-Houston Health Science Center
- MS in Biomedical Sciences, University of Texas-Houston Health Science Center
- BS in Biology, University of New Mexico
- Introductory Biology
- General Biology I
- General Biology II
- Advanced Cell Biology
- Molecular Biology
- Tissue Culture Techniques
- Senior Seminar
Dr. Wingate’s teaching focus is on establishing a solid foundation of knowledge and interest in the General Biology courses. She specializes in teaching cellular and molecular biology courses and developing critical thinking and laboratory skills in the upper-level courses.
Dr. Wingate was chosen as the Piper Professor for the College of Science and Mathematics in 2014 and was a finalist for the Opal Goolsby Professor in 2012 and 2014.
Dr. Wingate has authored and coauthored research focused on understanding the molecular mechanisms underlying the progression of breast cancer. She continues to collaborate with researchers in the medical center. Recent publications include the following:
- Staurosporine is chemoprotective by inducing G1 arrest in a Chk1- and pRb-dependent manner. Murray MM, Bui T, Smith M, Bagheri-Yarmand R, Wingate H, Hunt KK, Keyomarsi K. Carcinogenesis. 2013 Oct;34(10):2244-52. doi: 10.1093/carcin/bgt186. Epub 2013 May 30.
- Elafin, an inhibitor of elastase, is a prognostic indicator in breast cancer. Hunt KK, Wingate H, Yokota T, Liu Y, Mills GB, Zhang F, Fang B, Su CH, Zhang M, Yi M, Keyomarsi K. Breast Cancer Res. 2013 Jan 15;15(1):R3. doi: 10.1186/bcr3374.
- LMW-E/CDK2 deregulates acinar morphogenesis, induces tumorigenesis, and associates with the activated b-Raf-ERK1/2-mTOR pathway in breast cancer patients. Duong MT, Akli S, Wei C, Wingate HF, Liu W, Lu Y, Yi M, Mills GB, Hunt KK, Keyomarsi K. PLoS Genet. 2012;8(3):e1002538. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1002538. Epub 2012 Mar 29