MAP-SSP: Master of Arts in Psychology – Specialist in School Psychology
The MAP-SSP program prepares students to meet the psycho-educational and socio-emotional needs of children and adolescents. Students learn how to apply theoretical knowledge in the assessment, intervention and consultation for psychological problems that take place within a public school setting. Although the emphasis is on preparing clinicians to work at schools, the training provided is appropriate for agencies and facilities that address the behavioral and emotional needs of children.
Graduates of the MAP-SSP are eligible to apply to the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists (TSBEP) to become a Licensed Specialist in School Psychology (LSSP). The TSBEP is now a part of the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council (behec.texas.gov). As part of the application process for the SSP, students must do the following: (1) complete a 1,200-hour internship under the supervision of a licensed school psychologist or SSP-Supervisor; (2) obtain a score of at least 165 on the National School Psychology Exam (Praxis); and (3) pass a jurisprudence (state law) take-home exam at 90%.
Are you a school counselor or educational diagnostician?
You may be halfway through your coursework leading to completion of our MAP-SSP. We are able to accept up to 30 credit hours from an already completed degree. Contact Graduate Admissions to request a degree audit!
This degree program is 60 hours of graduate coursework. Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 and complete courses with no grade lower than a “C”, be admitted to candidacy, and successfully complete the requirements of Practicum and Internships.
Foundational Requirement: EDUC 6301- Classroom Management. Students who have completed at least two years of professional, full-time teaching need not take EDUC 6301 Classroom Management. Students need to submit their Teaching Record in order to waive this requirement.
For students seeking certification or licensure inside the State of Texas: Programs offered at HBU designed to fulfill the educational requirements for a specific professional licensure or certification do meet the educational requirements for the State of Texas.
For students seeking certification or licensure outside the State of Texas: Students seeking certification or licensure from any state other than Texas should check with their state licensing board to determine eligibility. Houston Baptist University has not determined whether their program of study meets the students state licensure requirements. Please check the following link for more information.
Advantages and Opportunities
An added benefit of the MAP-SSP program is that with minimal additional coursework , students can also become eligible for licensure as a Licensed Psychological Associate (LPA) or a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC). These requirements are subject to change. Graduates can make application to the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council (bhec.texas.gov), under the TSBEP and Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors (TSBEPC), respectively.
Top Ten Reasons to Attend HBU’s MAP-SSP Program
- The Christian environment at Houston Baptist University affirms all persons in and out of the classroom and facilitates high standards in one’s personal code of conduct.
- The convenience and flexibility of course offerings make it possible for students to work full-time and still carry a full-time course load.
- There is a low student/professor ratio which allows for students to receive individual attention and mentoring.
- The Program meets the Texas State Board of Examiners in Psychology (TSBEP) requirements for licensure as a Licensed Specialist in School Psychology.
- With minimal additional coursework, the Program meets the TSBEP requirements for licensure as a Licensed Psychological Associate (LPA).
- Students may take additional coursework/practicum hours to meet the TSBEPC requirements for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC).
- The courses are taught by doctoral-level professors and professionals in the field of psychology.
- Students who are admitted to the program work closely with Licensed School Psychologists who facilitate the practicum and internship courses.
- HBU’s beautiful, serene campus is nestled within a flourishing international city.
- The program is designed to value, appreciate and develop students’ unique gifts and talents.