MACMHC: Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MACMHC)(100% Online and Residential)
Leading to Licensure as a Professional Counselor in Texas
The MACMHC program prepares students for careers in mental health counseling and related fields by offering advanced preparation in mental health counseling, testing and research methods. The program also includes completion of a three semester, 700 hours, practicum and internships I & II in a University approved counseling setting under the supervision of a LPC, LMFT, LCSW, or a psychologist. Graduates go on to work in a variety of settings, including private practices, universities, clinics, hospitals, mental health agencies, churches, and schools.
Graduates of this program are eligible to apply for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in the state of Texas. Before becoming an LPC, graduates need to pass the National Counselor Exam (NCE) or National Clinical Mental Health Counselor Exam (NCMHCE), Texas Jurisprudence Exam, and complete a 3,000 hour internship under the supervision of an LPC-S.
Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0, complete all courses with a grade of “C” or higher, and satisfactorily complete an oral comprehensive examination.
Degree Plan: Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Additional Application Requirements
In accordance with best practices in the field of mental health counseling, applicants who meet the requirements specified by the graduate school will be invited to an interview and orientation. These interviews are typically held about once per month, and may take up to three hours depending on the applicant pool. Interview spaces are limited and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis; therefore, we encourage you to apply early. We remind you to turn in your application before the deadline set for the semester to which you are applying.
Advantages and Opportunities
Graduates go on to work in a variety of settings, including private practices, universities, clinics, hospitals, mental health agencies, churches and schools.
Top Reasons to Attend HBU’s MACMHC Programs
- Every course in our program is geared specifically for creating highly skilled professional counselors
- Dedicated, full-time faculty who believe in the open-door policy
- Wide range of adjunct faculty whose jobs are practicing in the fields our students want to join – instant networking and real-life experiences to share
- Practicum and internship sites across the city and across the spectrum of possible careers (e.g., churches, private practices, hospitals, prisons, community mental health, counseling centers)
- Small classes – 5 to 25 students – so there’s always time and space for us to prioritize your learning
- Classes are offered in the evenings to accommodate full-time workers
- You’re never just a number – every student is individually advised and individually valued!