Bachelor of Science in Education
Teacher Certifications for High School Grades 7-12
About the Degree
The Department of Teaching and Learning Sciences offers both undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The following Educator Preparation Tracks are offered for all levels of teaching certifications. This page provides information about specific requirements for EC-6 certifications with varying specializations.
- 7-12 ELA with ESL Certification
- 7-12 Math with ESL Certification
- 7-12 Social Studies with ESL Certification
- 7-12 History with ESL Certification
- 7-12 Life Science with ESL Certification
Student Learning Outcomes
In the Department of Teaching and Learning Sciences, we teach future teachers. Our undergraduate degree programs prepare you to teach in elementary, middle and high schools in public and private schools. We believe learning is active, engaging, and collaborative.
Our department gives you practical, cutting-edge professional learning. Our teaching is:
- Field-based: You will work with children in schools throughout the program (not just at the end, or for one or two semesters).
- Technology-rich: You will experience a wide range of technology-based learning activities in your courses, and you will learn to effectively and creatively used technology as an educator – not just in one technology course, but throughout the program.
- Personal: You will develop lasting relationships with your professors in our small classes. Professors become professional mentors – not just while you are here at HBU, but throughout your educational career.
- Focused on Best Practice: Because our faculty practice what they teach (evidence-based practice), students learn to teach well from how they are taught, as well as what they are taught.
- Respected: Our close ties with area schools and our reputation for excellence provide hiring advantages when you graduate and begin to apply for jobs.
What Can I Do With My High School 7-12 Teaching Certification?
There is a demand for quality teachers throughout the state. Most graduates are employed in Houston-area schools following student teaching. Employment opportunities vary according to teaching field. Districts involved in the hiring of our graduates are surveyed annually to provide feedback on the level of preparation our graduates receive prior to entering the field as teachers or related service personnel. Our feedback results indicate that our graduates (1-5 years) are well prepared and maintain skills in the teaching field after graduation.
Our graduates have become leaders in their schools and school districts. They have made a difference in the lives of children, and they have received recognition as outstanding educators. They have gone on to be principals, curriculum specialists, school counselors, diagnosticians, superintendents and university professors.
EPP Course Requirements
*** Each degree plan has additional liberal arts core requirements and major requirements***
Please view the complete degree plan at the bottom of the page to view all degree requirements.
View Degree Plans
6-12 Physical Science with ESL Certification
7-12 ELA with ESL Certification
7-12 Math with ESL Certification
7-12 Social Studies with ESL Certification
7-12 History with ESL Certification
7-12 Life Science with ESL Certification
We can’t wait to see you! Apply today.