Philosophy Major (BA and minor)
“The unexamined life is not worth living.” ~Plato, Apology 38a
Why Should I Get a Degree in Philosophy?
In short, philosophers excel at life.
No matter what your vocation is, the study of philosophy can benefit you.
The meaning of the word “philosophy” is literally “love of wisdom.” That fact is of central importance to HBU’s philosophy department. We aim to make you an ardent lover and pursuer of wisdom by putting you in direct conversation with the greatest philosophic thinkers in history.
Philosophers are concerned with the most important universal and timeless questions such as:
- What is really true?
- How do we know what we know?
- What does it mean to be a good and virtuous human being?
- How do we become good?
- Why should we be good at all?
- What is happiness, and how do we find it?
- Where did we come from, and where are we going?
- Is there a God, and if so, how do we come to know this God?
Philosophy begins in wonder.
And, at the end, when philosophic thought has done its best, the wonder remains.
Alfred North Whitehead
Distinctives of HBU’s Philosophy Major
- We aim to help you become an ardent pursuer and lover of wisdom by putting you in direct conversation with the greatest thinkers from the history of philosophy. As you engage the great texts from the philosophical tradition, you will be able to explore the big questions these philosophers found important, and to contemplate their answers to those questions.
- We hope to help you see wisdom as an end in itself, and as a way to recognize the substance and value of our own humanity.
- As a Christian philosophy department, we also try to model and ask our students to reflect on what is involved in a distinctively Christian approach to philosophy. HBU’s philosophy courses are designed to help students explore the contribution of philosophy to Christian thought, and to consider Christian perspectives on philosophy.
Why Study At HBU’s Philosophy Program
In addition to asking important questions, you will join a community of Christian thinkers committed to mentoring and helping the you grow. Film nights, conferences, guest speakers, study sessions and one-on-one attention are all part of the philosophy experience at HBU.
Our philosophy faculty members are very strong teachers and will tackle the big questions with you honestly, following the truth wherever it leads.
Houston is quickly becoming one of the most important centers of thought in the United States. That means that HBU’s location is an excellent place to study philosophy.
As stated above, philosophy will prepare you for any career by giving you the ability to think and learn well, which transfers into any field. Many of our graduates pursue careers or further degrees in law, education and business.
What Can You Do With a Philosophy Degree?
The philosophy program will not only change your life, but prepare you for a wide range of careers and graduate school opportunities. Philosophy majors consistently score high on placement exams and are sought after by business leaders for their critical thinking skills and their ability to communicate clearly.
Jobs For Philosophy Majors
Majoring or minoring in philosophy is an excellent preparation for graduate study in any number of fields. Our faculty in the Department of Philosophy are eager to serve as mentors and help you prepare for further study. The career field is wide open for philosophy majors because of the exceptional learning you will have experienced in critical thinking, reasoning, research, communication and organization. Other important skills that you will learn that are highly attractive to employers are idea-generation, problem-solving, adaptation to change, persuasion and the summarization of complicated material.
Read more about our philosophy courses in the course catalog.
If you think philosophy is for you, then apply today.
You may also be interested in our MA Philosophy degree.