Advising and Testing Information
ALEKS Math Placement Testing Information
Houston Baptist University requires an ALEKS mathematics placement assessment to determine readiness for various lower-level math courses. The ALEKS Placement Assessment covers material from basic math through precalculus and will take approximately 90 minutes to complete. After the assessment, a targeted Prep and Learning Module is available for you to review and learn material, and to improve placement and eventual course outcomes.
HBU gives students the option of taking the ALEKS at home on the first attempt. First determine if you need to take the ALEKS Placement Assessment using our ALEKS flowchart. Then register for the ALEKS exam through the HBU Testing Center.
Majors requiring ALEKS
- Kinesiology-Wellness Management Track
- Science (any track)
- Engineering (any track)
All Other Majors
Other majors may enroll in MATH 1305 Math for Critical Thinking if they meet the minimum requirements for SAT Math (530 points or higher) or ACT Math (22 points or higher). Students who do not meet these requirements must either take the ALEKS Placement Assessment or take the course MATH 1302.
English Placement Requirements
We strive to ensure that our students are slated to take the proper English requirements before they register for courses. Requirements are based on ACT or SAT scores submitted at the time of admission. Updated scores must be submitted to the Office of Admissions prior to registration. The following prerequisites may be required (subject to change).
- ENGL 1303 Basic Grammar & Composition. If your SAT Evidence Based Reading and Writing score is below 570 or your ACT Reading score is below 22 or your Classical Learning Test (CLT) score is below 75, and you do not meet the Test-Optional Criteria OR Accuplacer test score; this course will be required and count as an elective credit towards your degree.
- ENGL 1313 Composition & Literature I. This is the standard placement for first-year students and first English course on your degree plan.
- ENGL 1323 Composition & Literature II. If you already have college credit for ENGL 1313 through an AP exam or dual credit class, you will be placed in this course. We must have your test scores or transcripts on file.
Test-Optional Applicants Qualifications:
In effort to assist students in their transition to HBU we have provided additional ways students can be eligible for their freshmen level English 1313 Composition Course despite being test optional.
- Grade of A in Senior Non-Advanced Placement or Non-Honors English course in high school.
- Grade of B in Advanced Placement (AP) English or International Baccalaureate HL English (IB) in high school.
- C or higher in a dual credit college-level English course.
If you do not have the following above, you will need one of the examinations listed below to be eligible for English 1313. You may register below for Accuplacer through our testing center link. All tests will need to be in person and proctored, cost $25.
- Accuplacer Next Gen Reading score of 253+ AND 253+ Writing Score or and 5+ WritePlacer score
- Classical Learning Test offered online you can register here.
- TSIA2 score of 945+ on the ELAR CRC (Engl Language Arts and Reading section of the College Readiness Classification) Test AND an Essay score of 5+
- TSIA in Reading score of 351+ AND I TSI in Writing score of 340+ AND TSIA I Essay score of 5+
- Choose Group: Pre-Registration/GO Session
- Choose Exam: Accuplacer Pre-Registration/ Go Session
- Choose Date/ Time
- Enter Personal Information
Note: Students who don’t qualify either by high school requirement or Accuplacer will be placed in our English 1303, Basic Grammar and Composition for the first semester.
Please review the Credit By Examination and Scores Requirements for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP).