Degree Works FAQs

What is Degree Works?

  • Degree Works is a Web-based tool where you and your advisor can monitor your academic progress toward degree completion.

What are the benefits of using Degree Works?

  • With Degree Works, you can work with your advisor to:
    • Easily find the requirements you need to fulfill in order to complete your degree
    • View the courses that you have already taken and how they apply to your degree
    • View individual course grades, cumulative GPA, and major GPA
    • Plan for future academic coursework
    • See how your coursework could be applied to another major or minor by using the “What If” option

What is an audit?

  • An audit is a review of your previous, current, and future planned coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete your degree.

 How do I access Degree Works?

  • You can access Degree Works through the portal at

 Can I access Degree Works on any computer?

  • Yes, access to Degree Works is through the Web and you may log in on any computer. We recommend that you use Firefox for best results.

Can I use any browser to access Degree Works?

  • We recommend that you use Firefox for best results.

How current will my information be in Degree Works?     

  • The information in Degree Works is refreshed daily.

Can I register for classes in Degree Works?

  • No, Degree Works is a snapshot of your academic history and future planned coursework. You will continue to register for classes through Husky Net.  

Can I see how many classes I have left to fulfill my requirements?

  • Yes, requirements for the degree are organized categorically. Look for unchecked boxes to identify requirements you still need to complete.

Are in‐progress courses applied to my audit?

  • Yes, your degree audit will include in-progress courses.

Am I able to change my catalog term to meet a different set of requirements?

  • You can either choose to follow the catalog for the term in which you began at HBU, or the term in which you filed your degree plan. You should meet with your advisor to discuss which catalog term is best for you.

What does the @ symbol mean?

  • If the @ symbol appears with course numbers after it (i.e., @ 1000-4000), this means you can take a 1000-4000 level course from any subject area. If the @ symbol appears after a subject prefix (i.e. ENGL @), it means you can take any course from that subject area.

Are my grades visible in Degree Works?

  • Yes, official grades are available in Degree Works once they have been processed at the end of the semester. Courses in progress are listed with an “IP” grade.  Courses that are transferred in to HBU are listed with a “TR” grade.  Credit which is earned by examination is listed with a “CR” grade.                                        

What do I do if I believe my academic information is incorrect?

  • Consult with your academic advisor to review your audit.          

How is my Degree Works audit different from a transcript?

  • Your degree audit is an unofficial document that should be used as a tool to provide you with academic information related to your progress toward degree completion. It is organized categorically by degree requirement, not chronologically as a transcript would be.

How is the degree audit organized?

  • Your degree audit is organized in categorical sections called blocks. The first block provides student demographic information, followed by requirements for your degree, proficiencies, liberal arts core, and major.

Where can I find my major GPA?

  • Your major GPA is calculated based on coursework used to fulfill your major requirements only. This GPA can be found in the major requirements block of your audit.  

How do I know what classes I need to take?

  • Your degree audit provides a list of all of the course requirements needed to complete your degree. You can use this as a tool to choose courses for future semesters.  

Degree Works placed one of my courses in two different places. Is that okay?

  • In some cases, a specific course can fulfill requirements in more than one block of requirements. For instance, PSYC 1313 can fulfill the requirement for the liberal arts core and a requirement for the Psychology major.

What should I do if Degree Works placed a course in one section, and I want to use it in another?

  • You can contact your academic advisor to see if it is an option to move the course to the other section. 

How does Degree Works handle repeated courses?

  • Degree Works reflects HBU policies regarding repeated courses as outlined in the Academic Catalog. Per the policy, the highest grade of a repeated course will be used to evaluate degree completion, and other attempts will appear in the Insufficient Coursework block.

Where can I see my second major or minor?

  • Your second major or minor will be included on your audit as an additional coursework block.

Why isn’t my transfer work meeting a requirement?

  • There are a few possible explanations for this. First, the course did not meet either the minimum number of credits and/or minimum grade requirement to use in your program of study.  Second, the transfer course may not be directly equivalent to a course required for your program.  In this case, you can contact your academic advisor to see if the course can be substituted using a Course Notation Form.  The final reason is that all requirements have already been met and this course is not needed for a specific requirement.

If I withdraw from a class, will that be reflected in my audit?

  • Yes, these will appear in the Insufficient coursework block.

My advisor told me that a course I took would be substituted for a requirement.  Why doesn’t this information appear in my audit?

  • You should contact your advisor to resolve any substitution issues.

If all of the boxes are checked, does that mean I’m graduating?

  • Not necessarily. Your degree audit is a reliable tool to track your progress toward degree completion, but the official evaluation will be conducted by the Registrar’s office once you have applied to graduate.  Any missing requirements will be communicated to you by the Registrar’s office.  

What is the What If feature?

  • The What If feature allows you to hypothetically change your major, minor, or concentration before committing. The What If audit will list the requirements for the new major, minor, or concentration area and show which courses you have already taken satisfy the new requirements, and which courses you still have left to take.

If I use the What If feature does this mean that I have changed my major?

  • No, the What If feature is for planning purposes only. If you have decided you are ready to change your major, you will need to go to the Registrar’s Office in Brown 154 to get the form and go over the process.  If you have already filed a degree plan, you will need to file a degree plan for your new major. 

Can I view multiple What If scenarios on the same screen?     

  • Yes, it is possible to select more than one major at a time, or to select multiple majors, to compare.

Can I save a What If scenario?

  • No, these plans are not saved within Degree Works. 

Can I print a What If scenario?

  • Yes, it is possible to print a What If audit.

If I like what I see in a What If scenario, how do I initiate the changes?

  • Always speak with your advisor first. After consulting with your advisor, you can go to HuskyNet to begin the change of major process.

What does the term calculator show?

  • The term calculator will show your estimated cumulative GPA after you fill in your anticipated or hypothetical grades for your courses in progress. This GPA is not guaranteed. 

What does the Desired GPA Calculator show?         

  • The desired GPA calculator will show various credit and grade scenarios in order for you to achieve your desired GPA. This tool is for planning purposes only and is not guaranteed.

If I have additional questions about Degree Works, whom do I contact?

Will I be able to plan for future courses?

  • Yes, you can work with your advisor to choose courses for future semesters. Keep in mind that this is only a plan, and does not guarantee that those classes will be offered or available in that semester.  Your advisor can update your plan as necessary.

What is the Planner feature?

  • The Planner is a tool for you to use in conjunction with your advisor to arrange your courses for future semesters. Remember that course availability is not guaranteed, so your advisor may need to update your plan if you are unable to take a specific course in a specific semester.  Only your advisor will be able to create or edit plans, but you will be able to view them.

Can I have multiple plans?

  • Yes, but only one plan at a time may be kept as an active plan.

Will my plans be saved?

  • Yes, you can save all of the plans you create, but only one plan at a time may be marked as active.

Will my advisor make my plan for me?

  • Yes, your advisor will have access to create and update plans for you. You will be able to view any plans that your advisor makes with you.

If I put a course in my planner, am I automatically registered for that course in that future semester?  

  • No, Degree Works is for planning purposes only. You will continue to register for classes in HuskyNet.

Is the course I planned guaranteed for that future semester?

  • No, Degree Works is for planning purposes only. You can view the official course schedule in the Academic Catalog or through HuskyNet.  

Can I print my plan?

  • Yes, there is a print button at the bottom of the planner.