Moody Library serves the research, teaching, and scholarly activities of Houston Baptist University students, faculty, and staff. In order to maximize the availability of study space and library materials for these primary users, the following is the access policy of Moody Library:
- Other categories of scholarly researchers or visiting researchers may be admitted on a case-by-case basis as approved by the Library Director or the Librarian in charge. Please call the library in advance at 281-649-3435 and we will work out the details with you.
- Holders of valid TexShare cards from Texas academic or public libraries must present a current TexShare card for entrance. Local residents can get a TexShare card from any local public or county library (policies may vary by system or branch).
- TexShare card holders are not allowed entrance into Moody Library after 8 p.m. (Sunday-Thursday).
- TexShare patrons may not bring children into the library.
- TexShare cardholders may not bring other guests (who do not have TexShare cards). The Library reserves the right to refuse to grant access or borrowing privileges to any person who fails to observe library policies and regulations.
- TexShare users may checkout up to a maximum of four items at any one time. Late fees must be resolved before additional items may be checked out.
- HBU students, faculty, and staff must present a current HBU ID to enter the library.
- HBU alumni must present an HBU alumni card or a card issued by the library or other proof of graduation for entrance. Librarians can work with alumni who need another form of verification.
- Family members of HBU students, faculty, or staff may be admitted to the library only when accompanied by an HBU student, faculty, or staff ID holder. Spouses of HBU faculty or staff members may apply for a spouse card, which will give them access to the building.
- Children of faculty, staff, or alumni under 16 are allowed in the library only if accompanied by an HBU student, faculty, or staff member and monitored at all times.
- ID Cards can be made for students enrolled in the HBU Academy fro library entrance.
- Checking out library materials requires a valid HBU ID, TexShare card, or alumni identification.
- All materials must be checked out by 15 minutes before closing time.
- The 2017-2018 HBU Student Handbook says, “In a community environment, the right to participate in or enjoy a particular activity ends when that activity or by-product infringes on the rights of others, particularly their right to sleep, study, or spend time in a peaceful setting. It expected that students be aware of how their actions may be affecting others and maintain reasonable noise levels 24 hours a day” (p.26). On this basis, the second floor expects quieter conversations in the talking areas including respectful use of cell phones. All cell phones should be placed on vibrate or quiet mode.
- The Ragland Reading Room (behind the glass doors) on the second floor is designated as a quiet study area. Conversation is not allowed.
- Food and drink is permitted in the library; however, please be respectful and clean up afterwards.
Library Vision Statement
Given HBU’s central confession that “Jesus Christ is Lord,” William L. Moody Library seeks to help all students by endowing them with critical research skills with a high degree of satisfaction so their current research can springboard and become “useful vessels” to empower their future organizations, their lives, and to honor Christ (II Timothy 2:21-22; Isaiah 64:8; Colossians 1:9-15).
Library Mission Statement
The mission of William L, Moody Library is to provide the information resources, services, and physical spaces that support the educational and research mission of Houston Baptist University, encourage learning, and promote spiritual and intellectual growth.