Reading Proficiency Exam
A passing score on the Reading Proficiency Exam satisfies the undergraduate degree requirement for reading proficiency. Read the Proficiency Requirements from HBU Catalog
The Reading Proficiency Exam (RPE) is a pre-THEA exam, which covers the reading section only. It is a one-hour pass/fail exam with several reading selections and 24 multiple-choice questions. A passing score requires 17 correct responses (out of 24).
Test results (pass or fail) are sent to the Office of the Registrar, who enters the official scores in Banner. Students may check in their Huskynet account to see if the reading proficiency graduation requirement has been met. View instructions on accessing the RPE score report.
Test Preparation Materials
Since RPE is a pre-THEA exam, THEA test preparation materials are also appropriate to utilize for RPE. A limited number of THEA Study Guides are available for check out from Testing Services, Moody Library, 1st Floor. One must be a currently enrolled HBU student in order to check out resources. The THEA website also offers some practice exercises.
Testing Schedule, Spring 2018
- Tues. April 10, 2018 1:00 pm
- Thurs. April 12, 2018 1:00 pm
- Wed. May 2, 2018 3:00 pm
Testing Schedule,Summer/Fall 2018
- You will need to call the Testing Center to arrange a date and time for this exam 281-649-3236
Deadline to register: 2 days before exam
1 hour exam. Arrive 30 minutes prior to start time listed.
Closed test dates:
Test dates are taken offline when all seats are filled and when the registration deadline (2 days prior to test date) is passed. See standby testing information below.
Registration and Payment
Register online now! Do not register until date and time have been arranged with Testing Center
Include your Huskynet user ID number (H#) when you register. Please ensure it is correct in order for your scores to be accurately reported. (I do not know my Huskynet user ID number.)
Testing fee is $28.50, paid at the time of registration.
- Testing fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Test Day Instructions
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to exam start time for check-in.
- Testing Fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
- No one admitted after the start of the test.
- Non-expired, Photo ID or HBU Student ID is REQUIRED
- Be sure you have read and understood the Test Center Policies found on the HBU Testing website: hbu.edu/testing
- Prohibited items in Testing Room: cell phones, all watches, recording devices; calculators, flash/thumb drives, backpacks, bags
- No food or drink are allowed; except water in clear bottle with label removed
- Bring #2 pencils
All examinees testing at Houston Baptist University are responsible for knowing and following all the Test Center Policies.
Retesting – If a student does not pass on the first attempt, retesting is allowed. A student who wishes to retest must complete the online registration and payment again. A passing score on either of these exams will satisfy the reading proficiency graduation requirement.
Refunds – Testing fee is non-refundable, including for no shows and late arrivals.
- Have appropriate identification – must have HBU ID card.