HBU Admission / Placement Exams: ALEKS, Accuplacer, Spanish Heritage Speaker Exam.
COVID-19 Update: The HBU testing office will begin in person testing after Spring Break for the ALEKS Math placement. Please note that if you are taking it for the first time that you can still take it at home and do not need to register with the Testing office. If you need to Purchase an E-Commerce account contact (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information regarding this process.
- ALEKS Math Placement HBU Students
- Non-HBU Students ALEKS
- Spanish Heritage Speakers Exam
- Accuplacer Reading/Writing/Essay Exam
Houston Baptist University requires an ALEKS mathematics placement assessment to determine readiness for various lower-level math courses. The ALEKS Placement Assessment covers material from basic math through Pre-calculus and will take approximately 90 minutes to complete. After the assessment, a targeted Prep and Learning Module is available for you to review and learn material, and to improve placement and eventual course outcomes.
- First time test takers can take the ALEKS from Home via their husky.net under the Student tab (There is no Registration fee for this exam)
- The ALEKS Math Placement for HBU students costs $11.50 (Registration Fee For all attempts after the first)
- The ALEKS Math Placement for Non-HBU students costs $43.50 (Registration Fee)
- The ALEKS Math placement (For HBU students) exam/Learning modules are accessible for 6 months from the date of the first attempt or from when ALEKS is first log into. Once they expire you will need to purchase a Aleks E-Commerce account ($25.00+tax), to be able to start the process over again.
- For online cohorts in need of an E-Commerce account please contact the HBU Math Department, or your Online advisor.
NOTE: If you are Applying to the College of Science and Engineering for a Degree in:
Covid-19 Update. For students currently attempting to take the ALEKS for the College of Science and Engineering you may take your first attempt from home. All other attempts must be take through the testing office.
- Biochemistry / Molecular Biology
- Computer Science
- Cyber Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
You are required to take the ALEKS at the HBU testing office or at a university approved testing center. Please do not attempt to take the ALEKS via the Husky.net at home, as your scores will not be valid for placement.
IMPORTANT: You must finish no less than 8 hours of learning modules to unlock your second test. (5 Hours for the third through fifth) If you do not, there is no way to open the test. You will know if the next test is unlocked if the lock icon on the “Start Exam” no longer appears over the link. To access your learning modules simply follow the steps to get into the ALEKS exam, and the option to begin the learning modules should be under the locked out test start option. If your access has expired then you will need to purchase an E-Commerce account on the day of the exam.
All students are strongly encouraged to spend several hours using the ALEKS Prep and Learning Module. Even if you have achieved placement in your desired course, time spent in ALEKS will better prepare you for your upcoming course and ultimately lead to better grades.
The use of the ALEKS Placement Assessment and the associated Prep and Learning Module helps students prepare for and succeed in the math courses required for their major.
First of all, RELAX. This is an “assessment,” NOT A TEST. The difference is that an assessment is designed to determine what you know. At the end of the ALEKS Placement Assessment, you will have a much better sense of your strengths and weaknesses in math. You will then have a chance to work on those weaknesses. There is really no penalty for incorrectly answering a question on the assessment. The most important thing is that you take the assessment seriously and give it an honest effort so that the assessment truly reflects your level of knowledge and math preparedness.
Be honest about your skill level. There is no benefit to cheating on the placement assessment – your only reward will be that you are forced to take a class that is too difficult for your current level of mathematical knowledge. Therefore, while you are taking the assessment, do not consult any other source for help (friends, family, internet searches, etc.). The purpose of the placement assessment is to give an accurate measure of your current mathematical skills so that you will be successful in your mathematics courses. (See Academic-Policies-Procedures and Resources.)
- Closed Test Dates: Test dates are taken offline when all seats are filled or when the registration deadline (one day before the test) is past. See standby information below for further information
- Make sure you know your HuskyNet User ID Number (H#). It is required for registration. (I don’t know my HuskyNet User ID Number)
- You will be provided a computer for taking the assessment
- HBU ID or driver’s license is required for check in
- Cell phones must be turned completely OFF and left in designated area for prohibited items.
- No backpacks or purses are allowed and must be left in designated area for prohibited items
- Jackets and sweaters may not worn during testing, except for medical reasons
- No hats, scarves, hoodies or any head coverings allowed, except for religious reasons
- No cell phones, food or drink are allowed during the test session, except water in a clear bottle with label removed
- Rescheduling or Canceling – To reschedule or cancel a test, send an email to email@example.com
- Standby Testing – Those wishing to test on a date that is “offline” may be considered for testing on a “standby” basis at the discretion of the test administrator.
Testing Center is located in the Moody Library, 1st floor, Room 121
When you register for a test through Registration Blast, you will be able to select a date and time that the exam is offered.