Math Placement Tests: ALEKS
NOTICE: Due to Covid-19 the HBU-ALEKS Math Placement exam can be taken from Home for all attempts. For those seeking an extension to their expired learning modules/exam cohort contact (Testing@HBU.edu) for instruction on how to purchase the E-Commerce account.
Houston Baptist University requires an ALEKS mathematics placement assessment to determine readiness for various lower-level math courses. The ALEKS Placement Assessment covers material from basic math through Pre-calculus and will take approximately 90 minutes to complete. After the assessment, a targeted Prep and Learning Module is available for you to review and learn material, and to improve placement and eventual course outcomes.
- First time test takers can take the ALEKS from Home via their husky.net under the Student tab (There is no Registration fee for this exam)
- The ALEKS Math Placement for HBU students costs $11.50 (Registration Fee For all attempts after the first)
- The ALEKS Math Placement for Non-HBU students costs $43.50 (Registration Fee)
- The ALEKS Math placement (For HBU students) exam/Learning modules are accessible for 6 months from the date of the first attempt or from when ALEKS is first log into. Once they expire you will need to purchase a Aleks E-Commerce account ($25.00+tax), to be able to start the process over again.
- For online cohorts in need of an E-Commerce account please contact the HBU Math Department, or your Online advisor.
NOTE: If you are Applying to the College of Science and Engineering for a Degree in:
- Biochemistry / Molecular Biology
- Computer Science
- Cyber Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
You are required to take the ALEKS at the HBU testing office or at a university approved testing center. Please do not attempt to take the ALEKS via the Husky.net at home, as your scores will not be valid for placement.
IMPORTANT: You must finish no less than 8 hours of learning modules to unlock your second test. (5 Hours for the third through fifth) If you do not, there is no way to open the test. You will know if the next test is unlocked if the lock icon on the “Start Exam” no longer appears over the link. To access your learning modules simply follow the steps to get into the ALEKS exam, and the option to begin the learning modules should be under the locked out test start option. If your access has expired then you will need to purchase an E-Commerce account on the day of the exam.
Note: Additional information and sign-up for exams at HBU.edu/testing. Please arrive at designated time to allow plenty of time for the exam and bring a photo ID.
- Closed Test Dates: Test dates are taken offline when all seats are filled or when the registration deadline (one day before the test) is past. See standby information below for further information
- Make sure you know your HuskyNet User ID Number (H#). It is required for registration. (I don’t know my HuskyNet User ID Number)
- You will be provided a computer for taking the assessment
- HBU ID or driver’s license is required for check in
- Cell phones must be turned completely OFF and left in designated area for prohibited items.
- No backpacks or purses are allowed and must be left in designated area for prohibited items
- Jackets and sweaters may not worn during testing, except for medical reasons
- No hats, scarves, hoodies or any head coverings allowed, except for religious reasons
- No cell phones, food or drink are allowed during the test session, except water in a clear bottle with label removed
- Rescheduling or Canceling – To reschedule or cancel a test, send an email to email@example.com
- Standby Testing – Those wishing to test on a date that is “offline” may be considered for testing on a “standby” basis at the discretion of the test administrator.
Testing Center is located in the Moody Library, 1st floor, Room 121
When you register for a test through Registration Blast, you will be able to select a date and time that the exam is offered.