Evolve Reach Admission Assessment – (HESI A2 or HESI A2 w/ Critical Thinking)
The Evolve Reach Admission Assessment, also known as (HESI A2 with Critical Thinking), is the current pre-requisite for the HBU nursing program (Fall 2019). No other exam scores can be substituted to meet this requirement. Anyone may register to take the HESI A2 with Critical Thinking or HESI A2 at Houston Baptist University, whether HBU student or not.
- The Hesi A2 with/without Critical Thinking is a 4 Hour timed exam (The timer does not start until the first section is started)
- Anyone may register for and take the Hesi A2 (Including non-HBU students/candidates)
- There is a calculator built into the Hesi A2 exam (You are welcome to bring your own non-programmable calculator)
- The HBU nursing program only requires that you take five of the ten offered sections. Those sections are
- Math (80%)
- Reading Comprehension (80%)
- Grammar (80%)
- Anatomy and Physiology (>0%)
- Critical Thinking (>0%)
HBU School of Nursing and Allied Health has selected the HESI A2 w/ Critical Thinking exam because it is specifically written as a nursing school entrance exam and has research which correlates performance on this exam with nursing school success. It is our desire to select students who have the most potential for success with nursing school content areas.
- Click the Register Online button in the top right corner or click this Register online link.
- Click the link for HESI and choose which test you want to take. The HESI A2 costs $69.50, but paying for the HESI A2 with the additional Critical Thinking portion costs $75.50.
- Select a date to take the exam on the calendar. A list of scheduled dates can be found below.
- Fill out your billing information and hit register when finished. You should receive an email containing your receipt and information about your exam date.
- Additional Information
- Testing fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- The HESI A2 or HESI A2 with Critical Thinking may also be taken at any Prometric Testing Center, which offers a four-hour test session. By following instructions for Exam eligibility you start the process to obtain the eligibility code required to test at a Prometric Center.
Required for HBU School of Nursing and Allied Health
For all HBU students who have registered for their HESI A2 with Critical Thinking exam, a score of 80% or higher must be achieved on the HESI A2 Assessment Exam, on no more than 2 attempts in each of the three (3) sections: Grammar, Math, and Reading Comprehension. The Anatomy & Physiology component will also be required, although no minimum score is required. For more information, updates and FAQs regarding the HBU nursing program, visit the website for School of Nursing and Allied Health.
HESI A2 consists of seven academic exams and two personality style assessments listed below. Individual exams are not timed, but the test session is timed. Examinees may choose to take as many of the exams offered as they wish durin4-hour session. Most students easily complete the required exams (first) and spend any extra time on the exams that other schools may require. Examinees have access to all exams listed below and are responsible for taking the correct exam(s) and adhering to the requirements established by the schools to which they are applying. [HBU requires only exams marked with an asterisk.] Only exams that are started are scored.
|Reading Comprehension*||Provides reading scenarios to measure reading comprehension, identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc.||47|
|Vocabulary & General Knowledge||Contains vocabulary terms used commonly in both general English speaking and in the health care fields.||50|
|Grammar*||Contains basic grammar, including parts of speech, important terms and their uses in grammar, commonly occurring grammatical errors, etc.||50|
|Basic Math Skills*||Focuses on math skills needed for health care field, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc.||50|
|Biology||Covers biology basics, water, biological molecules, metabolism, cells, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, etc.||25|
|Chemistry||Contains test items that cover matter, chemical equation, and reactions, the periodic table, atomic structure, nuclear chemistry, chemical bonding, etc.||25|
|Anatomy & Physiology*||Provides coverage of general terminology and anatomical structures and systems.||25|
|Personality Profile||Uses concepts related to introversion and extroversion to classify the student’s personality style||15|
|Learning Style||Assesses the preferred learning style of the applicant and offers test-taking and study tips suited to the learning style.||14|
Note: HESI A2 with Critical Thinking license is also available (only difference is critical thinking component and it cost $5 more than A2 license).
Examinees testing at HBU will receive directions on how to obtain a copy of their scores at the conclusion of their test session and a copy of their scores will automatically be sent to the HBU School of Nursing and Allied Health.
After exam license is closed, Elsevier emails examinee scores to the email address associated with the established Evolve account. Examinees may contact Elsevier Evolve at 1-800-950-272 to make arrangements for score report to be sent another university; Elsevier assesses a fee for each test score report.
Applicants to HBU nursing program who have tested at another testing center other than HBU may contact Elsevier at 1-800-950-272 to have their score report sent directly to HBU at the address listed. Website or e-mail generated copies brought in by the student are not official score reports. HBU will not accept scores older than three years.
HBU School of Nursing and Allied Health
Houston, TX 77074
Review related class notes and/or nursing entrance exam review books by HESI and other publishers. HESI A2 Study Guide is available for purchase at the University Bookstore or from the Elsevier website. A limited number of the HESI A2 Study Guides are available for check out in Testing Services and in Moody Library. Currently enrolled HBU students only have check out privileges, but Library allows others limited in-Library checkout for these reserved resources. Check at the front desk for details.
This link also has some study materials for you for free:
More Study materials
Review of content related to missed items is available at evolve.elsevier.com for those retaking the exam (Examinee will receive an email notification from Elsevier after exam license is closed).
Deadline to register: 48 hours before exam or when available seats are filled
When you register for a test through Registration Blast, you will be able to select a date and time that the exam is offered.
4-hour test session:
- BEFORE you arrive, create your Evolve account
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to exam start time for check-in.
- Testing Fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
- No one admitted after the start of the test.
- Non-expired, government issued photo ID is REQUIRED
- Be sure you have read and understood the Test Center Policies found on the HBU Testing website: hbu.edu/testing
- Prohibited items in Testing Room: Cell phones, all watches, recording devices, flash/thumb drives, backpacks, bags
- No food or drink are allowed, except water in a clear bottle with the label removed.
- Go to evolve.elsevier.com/
- Click on “Login,” then select, “Create an account,” and submit the requested personal information.
- Take care to remember your username and password to use each time you take HESI nursing exams.
Bring the following:
- Non-expired, government issued photo ID is REQUIRED
- Pencil (Scratch paper will be provided)
- Calculator – optional. There is a drop down calculator in the math exam that can be used. No scientific or programmable calculator are allowed. A simple four-function calculator may be used.
- All Examinees testing at Houston Baptist University are responsible for knowing and following all the Testing Center Policies.
Examinees are checked in one at a time. EXAMINEES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TEST WITHOUT APPROPRIATE IDENTIFICATION.
HBU is NOT responsible for any lost or stolen items. You will not be allowed to keep any personal or prohibited items with you while testing. These items must be left in front of room unattended or placed in assigned locker.
No communication is permitted with anyone other than testing staff after the test is begun.
Examinees remain in their assigned seats and raise a hand if assistance is needed.
Examinees are dismissed when they receive a copy of their score report.
Any unclaimed personal items left in the testing room are sent to lost and found, in Brown 281 (Call 281-649-3238 for assistance.)
HBU School of Nursing and Allied Health policy only allows students to take this exam two times. The second attempt must be at least 30 days after the initial exam. HBU will not consider HESI A2 score IF
- retesting occurs less than 30 days, OR
- the student has taken the exam more than 2 times, regardless of where, OR
- scores are older than 3 years
If applying to HBU School of Nursing and Allied Health: Be aware that taking this exam more than two times or taking this exam less than 30 days after initial exam will violate HBU School of Nursing and Allied Health’s retest policy.
HBU Testing Services will allow students to register and retake the HESI A2 multiple times because many examinees are applying to other schools with different parameters. It is examinee’s responsibility to know requirements for the schools to which they are applying.
Refunds: No refunds are given, so ensure you select the correct test you want to take before you register and pay.
Reschedules: are not allowed, except with permission from Testing Center Director. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a reschedule at least two business days prior to your exam.
Standby testing: Standby testing is allowed, but standbys are not guaranteed a seat. IF there is a seat available at the start time, standbys MAY be allowed to test. Standbys:
- Must sign in.
- Bring payment (credit card only) and appropriate ID.
- Must follow published policies for this exam.
- Will be admitted at the discretion of the test administrator.