|Job Title:||Web Developer|
|Reports To:||AVP for Recruitment Marketing/Web Services|
Lead development, production and quality testing of Houston Baptist University digital marketing products under the supervision of the assistant vice president for recruitment marketing. Focus on enhancing the quality, usability and search engine optimization of materials related to recruiting. Employ best practices in responsive user-centered design on a WordPress Multisite platform with sensitivity to Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements for web accessibility. Will lead development on highly visible institutional collateral including web pages, emails, social media posts and other forms of digital marketing communication.
- Set up user accounts for and train content authors in the use of WordPress for routine page edits and updates.
- Handle rote and routine updates for colleagues in schools, departments or centers without their own WordPress content authors.
- Assist subject matter experts with more complex web development requests such as website section expansions, redesigns, departmental mergers or program renamings.
- Improve quality, accessibility and search engine optimization for hbu.edu, robertbsloan.com and other institutional websites including
- regularly running SiteImprove reports for quality assurance, accessibility and search engine optimization and deciding how best to implement recommended improvements
- improving our overall Digital Certainty Index (DCI) score as measured by SiteImprove
- setting up user accounts and training others in the use of SiteImprove to enable greater overall impact on DCI
- monitoring Google Analytics for unusual traffic patterns, recommending and implementing corrective actions when needed
- utilizing best practices in search engine optimization (SEO) and employing Google Search Console to improve findability of hbu.edu content.
- Develop, produce, integrate and quality test broadcast emails, trigger email campaigns, event registration, event RSVP forms and e-commerce forms on the iModules and Slate constituent relationship management (CRM) systems.
- Support analytical reporting by
- creating and distributing regular website visits and views reports
- running ad hoc website or web page reports
- support reporting from CRM systems and institutional social media channels
- assisting colleagues and partners with placement of tracking pixels and tags through Google Tag Manager.
- Organize work requests that come to the department by phone, email or the ServiceDesk Plus ticketing system. Ensure all requests over 30 minutes of labor are tracked in ServiceDesk, assigned to a suitable team member and help assistant vice president decide what to do when team members need to take unexpected leave.
- May manage student workers (not required).
- Urgent/crisis communication – be available early hours, after hours and weekends to produce campus closure, urgent or crisis messaging on digital institutional channels. May be required to leave campus and work from alternate locations during anticipated or actual power outages.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
Two years of demonstrable experience with HTML and ability to leverage and use WordPress styles, widgets and plug-ins to style pages in congruence with institutional brand standards. Similar experience with a different content management system – or CSS in conjunction with HTML – may be substituted for WordPress.
Ability to leverage WordPress themes to minimize need for custom layouts and custom CSS development.
Experience producing and quality testing broadcast emails on iModules, Slate or similar CRM systems.
Experience setting up, configuring, quality testing and integrating event registration, RSVP and e-commerce forms using WordPress form plug-ins, iModules, Slate or similar CRM systems.
Additionally, the successful candidate will be professional, self-reliant, proactive, and enthusiastic.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
Four years of demonstrable experience with HTML, CSS and WordPress including the ability to create new WordPress themes utilizing frameworks such as Bootstrap with CSS to support new custom designs. Similar experience with a different content management system may be substituted for WordPress.
English writing and editing for the web.
Technical writing skills with experience in documenting popular processes using multiple communication modes (i.e. integrating text, visual, screen capture and video to illustrate a concept).
Any experience with server-side scripting such as PHP or within WordPress: custom post types and taxonomies, custom loops and widgets, custom meta fields and options, customization of admin area and menu.
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.