Undergraduate Admissions Counselor
|Job Title:||Undergraduate Admissions Counselor|
|Reports To:||Director of Recruitment|
Responsible for administering all aspects of the college search and admissions process with prospective students; recruits high school and transfer students to Houston Baptist University; initiates contact with students, parents, counselors, teachers and communicates specifics about the academic programs offered by Houston Baptist University; encourages prospective students to apply and attend; explains the admissions and financial aid processes to prospective students.
- Serves as a member of the Admissions team and manages a recruitment territory and/or population; contacts, visits and informs prospective high school and transfer students about HBU programs, culture, mission, and life on campus; ensures that recruitment goals are met regarding applications, acceptances, and enrolled students;
- Articulates the University’s mission to a variety of publics, acting as a liaison between HBU and area college counselors/administrators, students, parents, alumni, corporations and/or governmental agencies;
- Initiates, plans, and executes special projects in conjunction with the goals and objectives of the department;
- Develops and implements specific recruitment projects and management tasks as assigned;
- Manages, plans, and coordinates special recruitment events as assigned;
- Maintains current knowledge of the HBU’s academic, spiritual, recreational, social, extra-curricular, and financial aid programs, and communicates this information to prospective students;
- Encourages a healthy and productive working relationship between the Enrollment Management Division and other HBU offices;
- Completes routine reports related to recruitment, projections, conversions, personal schedule, travel, special programs, and/or expense reports;
- Telephones and/or emails prospective students, exhibiting a consistent effort to contact them;
- Attends Enrollment Management staff meetings and is prepared to report on management tasks that were previously assigned;
- Maintains a steady flow of communication via email, traditional mail, and social media, and phone calls with prospective students and applied students in order to establish a relationship between the student and HBU;
- Works periodic weekends, evenings, and travels locally and out-of-state;
- Participates in weekly/evening phoning;
- Will be cross-trained in enrollment processes for other student populations and cover appointments as needed;
- Other job duties as assigned
INITIATIVE, JUDGEMENT & JOB COMPLEXITY:
Position requires a high degree of initiative and independent judgment; discretion is allowed within current policies and procedures, including the ability to recommend improvements to policies and procedures.
May supervise student workers and interns
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; Ability to exercise critical human relations skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with college faculty, staff, administration, students, and members of the community and the public.
- Must be proficient with technology. Knowledge of Slate CRM, Banner data base systems a plus.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- Ability to lift or move objects up to 25 lbs. – occasionally
- Ability to sit – frequently
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time – occasionally
- Ability to walk reasonable distances – occasionally
- Ability to bend or stoop – occasionally
- Ability to climb or reach overhead – occasionally
- Ability to communicate via speech, hearing and sight – frequently
- Ability to drive a car – occasionally.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT:
- There is considerable amount of travel required of this position.
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.