|Job Title:||Police Officer|
|Reports To:||Chief of Police|
A Houston Baptist University police officer is responsible for the enforcement of the law, is alert to threats and hazards to the commonweal of the University community, and provides safety, security, and aid to the students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the University and its properties.
- Exercises independent judgment within the limits prescribed by law, institutional rules and regulations, departmental policies and procedures, and those as directed by the Chief of Police or his designee.
- Provide for the protection, safety, assistance and welfare of students, faculty, staff, visitors, and all within the area under the control and jurisdiction of the HBU.
- Remain alert to threats to the commonweal, and take action to prevent or remediate those threats and situations that come or are brought to the officer’s attention.
- Maintain a courteous and professional attitude when dealing with all members of the HBU community and its visitors.
- Provide uniform patrol of the campus and its properties, by vehicle and on foot.
- Investigate reports of criminal activity, suspicious conditions and circumstances, and write quality police reports regarding findings and activities.
- Maintain the security of the university property by opening and closing buildings, identifying and taking corrective action on unsafe conditions and hazards in and on all University owned property. Respond to various security, door and environmental alarms.
Must be able to fulfill the duties of a police officer which include, but are not limited to:
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances, as well as law enforcement techniques and procedures.
- Communicate well in speech and in writing.
- Possess good interpersonal skills.
- Physically able to effect an arrest, subdue resisting individuals; walk; run short distances; crouch; able to move light to medium weight equipment; climb stairs; able to assist injured/impaired persons.
- Walk, stand, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be available to work varying shifts, nights and weekends.
- Operate and maintain vehicles and equipment.
- Have effective reading and writing skills.
- Recognize dangerous/hazardous situations.
- Possess the mental acumen for exercising reasonable and sound judgment under stressful circumstances.
- Work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
- Work outside and in inclement weather if necessary.
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalence.
- Possess a Texas peace officer License issued by TCOLE.
- Possess a valid Texas driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Firearm qualified or can qualify.
- Can pass a basic firearm safety examination.
- The employee must be able to pass a medical exam, psychological exam, as well as a drug screen and a background investigation.
- Eyesight must be correctable to 20/20 or better with uncorrected vision of 20/200 or better.
- Must be of sound moral character.
Retired and experienced police officers are encouraged to apply and will be given preference. A two year commitment to the position will be requested from the applicant.
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.