|Job Title:||Police Dispatcher|
|Reports To:||Chief of Police|
Responsible for interacting with the public, routing telephonic requests for police services under standard and emergency situations. Also accessing information to relate to police officers and safety personnel, as well as maintaining required electronic and other activity logs.
- Interact with the public both in person and telephonically.
- Dispatches police officers and emergency personnel to requests for their services under emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Gathers information and relays via radio to police officers and emergency service personnel for handling.
- Operates secure police databases and logs.
- Operates federal, state, and local information systems.
- Performs light clerical duties.
- Monitors and operates security camera system.
- Monitors local information sources for impediments to the safety and normal operation of the university.
- Makes notifications to proper personnel in emergency and special situations.
- A high school diploma or GED is required at a minimum.
- Possess excellent communication skills.
- Must be able to pass a background investigation, as well as a drug test and psychological examination.
- Former police officer or tele communicator dispatcher experience is preferable but is not required.
- Computer literate, and able to learn and complete the department’s required forms and logs.
Knowledge, Skills and abilities
- Must be able to interact and communicate with students, faculty, staff and others who contact the university.
- Possess a personable manner when dealing with others.
- Show competency and initiative in gathering and relaying information to safety and emergency personnel in the field.
- Must remain calm and able to operate under stressful situations that may arise in the course of conducting police communications.
- Must be service oriented; committed to quality service to the university community and to others who interact with the university.
- Must be able to take direction, follow, and clearly relay orders, from superiors.
- Indoors. Normal office conditions and environment; the majority of the time sitting at a desk.
- Must be able to lift up to ten (10) pounds, occasionally.
- Vision, hearing, and dexterity must meet the requirements necessary to successfully complete the tasks required of this position.
3:00 pm – 11:00 pm
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.