Financial Aid Advisor
|Job Title:||Financial Aid Advisor|
|Reports To:||Assistant Director, Financial Aid|
The Financial Aid Advisor, under the direction of the Assistant Director, Financial Aid provides financial aid services to students. The Financial Aid Advisor will conduct student need analysis, and packaging of student aid, certify federal loan eligibility, provide financial aid counseling, and facilitate problem solving with students and parents. In this position, he/she will interact with specific outside agencies to facilitate the student eligibility process and is accountable for ensuring compliance with federal regulations.
- Communicates to student through the use of HBU’s enterprise system incomplete documents and steps for resolution in order to process the student’s financial aid.
- Reviews various query reports and makes contact with student regarding status
- Documents receipt of any additional requirements in order to process or disburse the loans
- Responds to questions and counseling needs in a timely manner from currently enrolled students, prospective students, and parents
- Conducts needs analysis in compliance with federal criteria to determine the relative eligibility of each financial aid applicant.
- Determines the types and amounts of financial aid to be awarded through the packaging process according to federal, state and institutional requirements. Monitors individual student awards. Resolves data conflicts and over awards.
- Works with the Assistant Director, Financial Aid on individual student appeals concerning eligibility.
- Provides financial aid counseling to students and parents regarding all aspects of financial aid process. Makes necessary referrals to other student service offices.
- Monitors and evaluates satisfactory academic progress of students. Assists the Assistant Director, Financial Aid with adjudication of student appeals relating to academic progress.
- Interacts with appropriate outside entities in order to facilitate the student eligibility process.
- Assists with conducting on and off campus presentations, seminars, and/or workshops for students and possibly for professional development training
- Provide loan and indebtedness counseling to students on an individual and group basis
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to successfully perform the duties of this position.
- Minimum of one year of recent financial aid experience
- Banner experience preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
- Previous experience with administering loan default and financial literacy programs preferred
- Ability to meet deadlines and maintain a high level of accuracy, professionalism and a customer service orientation
- Ability to work individually or as a team in a dynamic organization
- Ability to relate well with a diverse student population
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to use tact, diplomacy and judgment in dealing with all customers
- Requires some evenings and week-end work throughout the academic year
In addition, the successful candidate will be professional, self-reliant, proactive, enthusiastic, and will make a positive impression on others.
Bachelor’s Degree Required
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.