Director of the HBU Counseling Center Gideon Institute of Christian Psychology and Counseling
|Job Title:||Director of the HBU Counseling Center Gideon Institute of Christian Psychology and Counseling|
|Departments:||College of Education and Behavioral Sciences|
|Reports To:||Director of the Institute|
The Director of the HBU Counseling Center is a full-time, exempt, 12-month, professional member of the Gideon Institute of Christian Psychology and Counseling at Houston Baptist University, reporting to the Director of the Institute. The Director of the Center will be an experienced professional prepared to help HBU build a Christian Counseling clinic that is biblically-rooted and clinically-informed.
• Developing and overseeing creation and early operations of a counseling center at Houston Baptist University.
• Developing and writing a policy manual for the counseling center.
• Coordinating development of the center’s operation in accordance with the core ideals, mission and vision statements, statement of faith of the Gideon Institute and Houston Baptist University.
• Working closely with the lnstitute’s principle faculty.
• Participating in the hiring of staff members (e.g., office assistant, additional counselors}
• Creating operational standards that agree with the Biblical/Spiritual/Christ-centered, and theocentric ideals of the Institute and in addition will be in compliance with
-Culturally required standards of licensed mental health care,
-HIPAA, mandated reporting, codes of conduct that maintain agreement with core ideals and enhance quality of care.
• Conducting counseling with clients
• Supervising licensed experienced clinical staff on site
• Instructing in the institute’s classes, when appropriate.
• Other duties as assigned.
• A Master’s or Doctorate in a clinical field from an accredited institution in psychology
(preferable), clinical social work, marriage and family therapy, or professional counseling.
• Graduate work in theology from an accredited Institution, or similar training.
• Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor (LPC-S), or Licensed Clinical Psychologist.
• Five years of post-master’s theology and licensing work as a pastor or counselor doing pastoral care or counseling including time doing proven, independent work in a mental health (or biblical counseling) setting.
• Candidates must subscribe to the Christian psychology orientation. This means they understand, can articulate, and practice counseling that is Christ-centered, biblical-rooted, and clinicallyinformed.
• A proven track record of doing Christ-centered, biblically-rooted, clinically-informed care. This entails demonstrating a holistic approach to the application of spiritual formation, theological understanding, and clinically informed care in one or more of the settings identified above.
• Has worked in or has track record of coordinated work with colleges or universities in the development and training of students for Master’s- (and or doctoral-) level internships and practicums for counseling credentials or state licensing.
• Bold and humble articulation of one’s biblical faith and growing with Christ as one’s personal savior, counselor, and friend.
• Evidence of a commitment to the Ten Pillars of HBU
• Knowledge of organizational and management practices
• Knowledge of supervision principles
• Knowledge of counseling theory
• Communication skills
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.