Assistant Director, Financial Aid
|Job Title:||Assistant Director, Financial Aid|
|Reports To:||Director, Financial Aid|
The Assistant Director, Financial Aid provides direction for the daily advising and student related functions of the Financial Aid Office. Coordinates efforts to ensure that best practices and regulations are followed for all students and that the information and services are provided to students in a timely manner. In this position, he/she will interact with specific internal departments and outside agencies to facilitate the student eligibility process and is accountable for ensuring compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Supervises the financial aid advising staff and functions of the financial aid office
- Remains current regarding all federal, state and institutional regulations and guidelines pertaining to financial aid programs
- Oversee full-service financial aid advising, including but not limited to document collection, budgeting, awarding, FAFSA verification, and loan certification for college related programs.
- Assist Director with developing, implementing and revising departmental policies and procedures to ensure compliance with federal and state laws, regulations and institutional policies related to financial aid and scholarships
- Hire, train and supervise Financial Aid advising staff in the essentials of customer service, student outreach, financial planning and federal and state financial aid compliance
- Provide leadership, direction and accountability to the department’s staff as they work with students from application to graduation
- Assists with conducting on and off campus presentations, seminars, and/or workshops for students. Also present information at various events held at HBU, local high schools and at college fair events
- Facilitate coordination and communication between respective college departments as they relate to the Financial Aid Office’s role in creating a positive educational experience for students. Integrate efforts to maximize Financial Aid’s role in recruiting and retention.
- Counsel and advise students and parents regarding financial needs and problems, and recommend financial aid opportunities, academic progress, eligibility and procedures.
- Serves as a liaison with departments in the processing of departmental scholarships. Oversee the receipt of departmental scholarship, awarding funds to the students’ accounts and monitoring the disbursement of the funds. Provides reports to each of the departments each semester and as requested.
- Monitors student’s SAP and GPA of all aid recipients each semester. Notifies students of the appeal processes if they are not meeting the standards. Makes recommendation for the appeal denial or approval to the Director.
- Resolves and/or assists in the resolution of problems and/or complaints and initiates corrective action as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to successfully perform the duties of this position.
- Minimum of five years of recent financial aid experience
- Banner experience preferred; Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to meet deadlines and maintain a high level of accuracy, professionalism and a customer service orientation
- Ability to work individually or as a team in a dynamic organization
- Ability to relate well with a diverse student population
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to use tact, diplomacy and judgment in dealing with all customers
- Requires some evenings and week-end work throughout the academic year
In addition, the successful candidate will be professional, self-reliant, proactive, enthusiastic, and will make a positive impression on others.
Bachelor’s Degree Required: Master’s degree preferred
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.