Academic Technology Support Manager
|Job Title:||Academic Technology Support Manager|
|Departments:||Office of the Provost|
|Reports To:||Associate Provost for Online and Continuing Education|
The Academic Technology Support Manager provides services and resources to faculty, staff, and students that are using technology-enabled learning tools and environments. The position assists in the support of adopted classroom technologies, and serves as the Blackboard administrator as the primary responsibility. The position supports inventories and documentation for adopted instructional systems, tools, techniques, and policies. S/he works closely with staff in IT to facilitate optimal service experiences with instructional technologies. S/he works collaboratively with full-time and adjunct faculty of varying backgrounds and levels of academic technology proficiencies to assist in the delivery of instructional media pieces and other course elements for incorporation into classroom, hybrid and fully online courses. This position reports to the Associate Provost for Online and Continuing Education and will work to ensure the continuous operation of the LMS to serve the program needs of university-wide services for staff, faculty, and students.
The Academic Technology Support Manager is responsible for the management and delivery of online technology, as well as assisting faculty in the planning and use of technology in the classroom.
- Work collaboratively with online partners
- Assist with the development and delivery of technology-related faculty development workshops
- Manage the Academic Technology budget
- Attend/participate annually in the Blackboard conference
- Collaborate regularly with HBU-IT
- Provide Tier 2 technical and administrative support to assist in the use of LMS technologies and applications.
- Participate in the integration (planning, testing, and implementation) of new technologies including LMS updates and third-party products.
- Serve as an escalation contact for support issues, including interactions with Blackboard Support and other vendor support services.
- Create, manage, and enforce LMS standards, policies, and procedures.
- Provide high quality customer service.
- Participate on and contribute to committees, work groups, and project teams.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution higher education.
- At least 1 year of recent experience working in Blackboard (or other LMS).
- At least 1 year of recent experience providing technical support for Blackboard (or other LMS).
- Experience in writing and/or editing technical documentation.
- Basic understanding of instructional design principles, practices, and/or theories.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts in non-technical terms.
- Excellent customer service and support oriented-approaches to interaction is required.
- Works well in a positive, high energy team environment with ability to manage time effectively as well as prioritize daily tasks to meet departmental needs.
- At least 2 years of recent experience working as a Blackboard administrator.
- Experience in timeline and project management and/or implementation of business and functional requirements.
- Strong working knowledge of web-based learning management systems (e.g., ANGEL, Blackboard, Canvas, Moodle, etc).
- Knowledge of web accessibility issues.
- Knowledge of standards (i.e., IMS, SCORM, LTI) and their implementation.
- Basic networking and web server knowledge.
- Experience with Oracle Structured Query Language (SQL)
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.