Houston Baptist University Catalog

The 2015-2016 HBU Catalog PDF has been released. Content found in the webpage below will be updated shortly to match the new catalog. In the interim, please refer to the PDF for the most current information.

Financial Services

HBU is a nonprofit educational institution and receives contributions from the Baptist General Convention of Texas and from Baptist churches, gifts from the local business community, and gifts from interested individuals and foundations.

The tuition and fees paid by the undergraduate student cover only approximately fifty percent of the instructional and operating costs of the University. Though graduate students bear a proportionately higher percent of costs, their education is heavily underwritten by the University’s development program.

The University reserves the right to change tuition, fees, and charges should conditions make it necessary.

Financial Services is open for business from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Tuition and Fees 2014-2015
Payment of Accounts 
Refund Policy 
Cashier’s Office Contact Information
Financial Aid 

Tuition and Fees

Information regarding undergraduate and graduate tuition and fees can be found on the worldwide web at




Or, you may call (281) 649-3471 to have information sent by mail.

Payment of Accounts

Tuition, room and board and fees are due and payable at the time of registration. Students who priority register must complete their arrangements with the Cashier’s Office no later than one week before the census date to prevent a late fee from being charged. However, HBU does provide a deferred payment plan for the convenience of students and parents that are expecting any form of financial aid. (There is a per semester fee to utilize the deferred payment plan.) The basis of the plan is as follows:

The total expenses of the semester (less any financial aid) are divided into monthly payments with the first payment due after classes start in either September or October for the fall semester and February or March for the spring semester. The month that the first payment is due is dependent on the plan that the student selects. There are also flexible plans available for students not expecting any financial aid.

Payments made in person may be in the form of cash, check, money order, MasterCard, Visa, Discover Card, American Express or debit cards. In addition, credit card/debit card payments are accepted by telephone during business hours.
Fees for tuition, room and board become the responsibility of the students in accordance with the refund policy below. Failure to make payments of any indebtedness to the University when due, including but not limited to tuition, housing or rental charges, student loans, special fees, library or parking fines, is considered sufficient cause, until the debt is settled with the appropriate office to (1) bar the student from classes, (2) withhold diploma or transcript, and (3) suspend the student. This policy will be equally enforced against debts discharged through bankruptcy, as far as the law allows.


Refund Policy

The University plans its expenditures for the year based on the anticipated attendance of students enrolled. Its instructional and operating costs are not reduced by the withdrawal of a student after a semester has begun.
A student who withdraws completely (except summer sessions) will receive a refund on tuition and fees (except non-refundable fees) in accordance with the following schedule:
Fall, 2014
100%   Through August 24, 2014
90%     August 25-September 2, 2014
75%     September 3-September 7, 2014
50%     September 8-September 10, 2014
0%       September 11-December 13, 2014
Spring, 2015
100%   Through January 19, 2015
90%     January 20-26, 2015
75%     January 27-February 1, 2015
50%     February 2-February 4, 2015
0%       February 5-May 16, 2015
General and technology fees are only refundable prior to the first day of class upon complete withdrawal.
Course and special fees are non-refundable.

Cashier's Office Contact Information

Assistance from one of the staff members of the Cashier’s Office is available Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. by calling (281) 649-3471. 

Mailing Address:
HBU, Cashier’s Office, Atwood II-113
7502 Fondren Road
Houston, TX, 77074-3298

Web Address:

Email Address:


Financial Aid

Financial aid may be in the form of loans, grants, scholarships, work-study awards, or a combination of all of these.
Although the primary responsibility for meeting postsecondary educational expense rests with students and their families, the financial aid programs listed below have been established to assist students who can establish need.

Procedures for Applying For Financial Assistance

  1. File an application for admission to the university.
  2. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov to submit the fafsa. HBU code #003576.
  3. Submit to the Financial Services Office all requested documents needed to complete the aid application.
  4. Students must enroll at least half-time (six hours undergraduate or four hours graduate) to be eligible for federal loans.

Financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis as funding permits. The amount of the student’s award is based on a calculated financial need and annual limits as specified by program requirements. A student’s financial need is determined annually by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Student Aid Satisfactory Progress

Federal regulations require students to make satisfactory progress toward the completion of their degrees in order to receive Title IV aid. Title IV programs include the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work Study, Stafford Loans, and Stafford Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students.  See HBU’s website for the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy and specific requirements.

Dependency Status

Dependent students are considered to be financially dependent on their parents and must report parents’ financial information as well as their own. A dependent student is one who does not fall into one of the categories given under the definition of an independent student.

An independent student reports only income information (and that of a spouse, if the student is married) when applying for federal student aid.  Under the federal definition, an independent student is one who is 24 years old by December 31 of the award year, a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, an orphan or ward of the court, has dependents other than a spouse, married at the time of applying for aid, or is a graduate or professional student.

Renewal of Scholarships, Loans, Grants

Application for federal financial aid must be submitted each year. The renewing and awarding of loans, scholarships, grants, etc. is based on the student’s current financial need, availability of funds, academic policy and standards set forth by the particular aid involved. Financial aid will be made reasonably available to all eligible student applicants as long as funds are available.

Deadline Dates

Financial aid applications must be submitted by the following dates in order to receive a financial aid award by registration:
April 1 is the preferred deadline for applicants to submit the FAFSA to the Federal Student Aid Programs. All requested documents should be submitted by April 15.

Disbursement of Financial Aid

Financial aid, with the exception of Federal Work Study, is disbursed at the beginning of each enrollment period. If the aid package is for a regular nine-month period, one-half is disbursed at the beginning of each semester. University policy requires that all aid must be used first to pay general registration and maintenance fees, room and board or other institutional expenses. Financial aid is credited to the student’s account first, and after direct costs such as tuition, fees, room and board are met, any excess aid is disbursed by the Cashier’s Office.


Government Grants

Federal Pell Grants

This is the basic grant available to qualifying undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelors or professional degree. Funding comes from the federal government. All degree-seeking undergraduate students may apply by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The annual maximum award is up to $5,730 per academic year.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

Federal SEOG grants are intended to supplement other aid received. These grants are federally funded. Funds are awarded to a limited number of undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Recipients must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Grants may range up to $1200 per academic year depending upon availability of funds.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

This grant program provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.  In exchange for receiving a TEACH grant, students must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field of a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students.  Recipients of a TEACH Grant must teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which a TEACH Grant is received.  All amounts of TEACH Grants received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan if the service obligation is not completed.  The amount received plus interest would be repaid to the U.S. Department of Education.  Interest would be charged from the date the grant(s) was disbursed if the grant is converted to a loan.  TEACH Grant recipients will be given a six-month grace period prior to entering repayment if a TEACH Grant is converted to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. 

Tuition Equalization Grants (TEG) or Other State Grants

These grants are available to students who are Texas residents, full-time undergraduate students, and who demonstrate need. The annual maximum varies. Recipients of athletic scholarships or ministry-related aid are not eligible for the TEG. Students who were awarded the TEG before 9-01-05 must enroll for a minimum of six hours per semester. In all cases, students who receive TEG in their second year must have completed 24 credit hours and have a 2.5 cumulative grade point average at the end of the academic year in order to receive it subsequent years.  Non-Texas residents should apply for a grant in the state of their residency. Recipients should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).


Stafford Subsidized Loans for Students

The Stafford Subsidized Loan program provides a low interest loan to students who are attending HBU at least half-time in a degree or certification program and who demonstrate need. If you are eligible for a Stafford Subsidized loan, the federal government pays the interest on the loan while you are enrolled in school at least half-time, but repayment begins six months after dropping below half-time. The student is the borrower and must attend HBU loan counseling before the first loan at HBU can be released. A first year student demonstrating financial need may borrow up to $3,500 a year. A second year status undergraduate may borrow up to $4,500 a year. Students who have achieved third or fourth year status may borrow $5,500 a year. These loan limits are coordinated into the financial aid package, and may not exceed need. Maximum subsidized loan debt is $23,000 for undergraduates, and $65,500 for graduate or professional study, including amounts borrowed as an undergraduate student. Recipients must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

Stafford Unsubsidized Loan for Dependent Students

The same eligibility requirements as the Stafford Subsidized Loan apply except students do not have to demonstrate need. Applicants must seek aid from the Stafford Subsidized Loan before applying for the Stafford Unsubsidized Loan, and students can have this loan in combination with the Stafford Subsidized Loan. The student is responsible for the interest that accrues on the Stafford Unsubsidized Loan while in school and deferment periods. Some deferment options are available. A dependent student may, in addition to the subsidized loan limits, received an additional $2,000 in unsubsidized loans. Recipients must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Stafford Unsubsidized Student Loan for Independent Students

This loan is available to independent undergraduate and graduate students. The annual limit is $4,000 for first and second year undergraduates. Students who have achieved third or fourth year status are eligible to borrow up to $5,000 annually, and graduate students may borrow up to $12,000 annually, not to exceed the cost of education. These amounts are in addition to the Stafford Subsidized Loan amounts.

The subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loan interest rates are variable and adjusted on an annual basis every July 1, but will not exceed 8.25%. The borrower will be assessed a small origination/insurance fee. Repayment of principal begins six months after the borrower ceases at least half-time enrollment. All loans must be repaid.

Federal PLUS Loans for Graduate Students (GRPL)

Like parent PLUS borrowers, graduate student PLUS borrowers will undergo a credit check before borrowing and will enter repayment on the date of the final loan disbursement. The maximum amount varies, there are some deferment options available, and the interest rates vary. Recipients must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Parent Loan for Students (PLUS)

This loan is for parents of undergraduate students who are enrolled at least half time. A credit-worthy parent is the borrower. Repayment begins while the student is in school. The maximum amount varies, there are some deferment options available, and the interest rates vary. The student of the parent must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Deferments and Loan Terms

Stafford loan borrowers may have a deferment for circumstances such as half time study at a postsecondary school, student in an approved graduate fellowship program, unable to find full time employment, or economic hardship. All borrowers should refer to their promissory notes for details of the terms, and interest rates.


Federal College Work Study (CWS)

Federal College Work Study is a federal program that allows students who demonstrate need to earn money to help pay for educational expenses. The total CWS award depends on your need, the amount of money the university has for this program, and the amount of aid received from other programs. Students earn minimum wage for most positions and are paid bi-monthly. A portion of the Federal Work Study funding is allocated to positions that perform community service duties. The work-study award does not guarantee employment.  Students must apply and be hired for a position in order to receive the work study award and the amount of money earned cannot exceed the award total. Available work study positions are posted on the Hire a Husky system available through HBU’s website. Awardees should contact the Financial Aid Office at (281) 649-3749 for additional information.


To receive student financial aid from these federal programs, the student must:
  1. Be enrolled in a degree or certificate program or other program leading to a recognized educational credential, or in a program of study abroad approved for credit at HBU.
  2. Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen. An eligible non-citizen is one who is: (1) a U. S. permanent resident with an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-551); (2) a conditional permanent resident (I-551C); or (3) another eligible noncitizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: refugee, asylum granted, parolee, or Cuban-Haitian entrant.
  3. Be registered with Selective Service if the student is a male who is at least 18 years old but not yet 26 years old.
  4. Be making satisfactory academic progress.
  5. Not be in default on any loan or owe a refund on any grant made under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended, at any institution.
  6. Sign a statement of educational purpose indicating that federal student aid funds will only be used for expenses related to attending the university.
  7. Not have borrowed in excess of annual or aggregate limits on any Title IV loan.
  8. Not be simultaneously enrolled in an elementary or secondary school.
  9. Demonstrate financial need if applying for a need-based award, such as the Federal Pell Grant.


Institutional Scholarships

Merit Scholarships (Freshmen)

New full-time HBU freshman admits will be considered for one of the following awards.  Scholarship and grant recipients must meet all university requirements for regular admission to the fall or spring semester.  The SAT is calculated using the highest Critical Reading and Math sub-scores only.  In the absence of class rank, the grade point average is used to calculate merit awards.

Founders Academic Scholarships

Based on a combination of SAT/ACT score and rank in class.
Recipients of the Founder’s Academic Scholarship are expected to maintain a 3.0 cumulative HBU grade point average for renewal in subsequent years.
$15,000 per academic year.

Presidential Academic Scholarships

Based on a combination of SAT/ACT score and rank in class.
Recipients of the Presidential Academic Scholarship are expected to maintain a 3.0 cumulative HBU grade point average for renewal in subsequent years.
$14,000 per academic year.

Legacy Scholarship

Based on a combination of SAT/ACT score and rank in class.
Recipients of the Legacy Scholarship are expected to maintain a 2.5 cumulative HBU grade point average for renewal in subsequent years.
$13,000 per year.

University Grants I and II

All unconditionally accepted freshmen who do not qualify for a scholarship listed above.

Recipients of a University Grant must maintain a 2.5 cumulative HBU grade point average in subsequent years.
$6,000 or $4,000 per year.

Achievement Awards

New full-time freshmen will also be eligible for an additional Achievement Scholarship at four different levels, based upon the following test scores.  The SAT is calculated using the highest Critical Reading and highest Math sub-scores only.

Recipients of an Achievement Award are expected to maintain a 3.0 cumulative HBU grade point average for renewal in subsequent years.

Level 1 - $7,500 per year – 1500-1600 SAT or 34-36 ACT
Level 2 - $6,500 per year – 1400-1490 SAT or 32-33 ACT
Level 3 - $5,500 per year – 1300-1390 SAT or 29-31 ACT
Level 4 - $4,500 per year – 1200-1290 SAT or 27-28 ACT

Transfer Merit Scholarships

 A new full-time transfer student who has 15 credit hours after high school graduation will be considered for the following transfer awards:

Provost’s Scholarship for Transfers

$12,000 per academic year
3.5-4.0 cumulative transfer grade point average

Dean’s Scholarship for Transfers

$10,000 per academic year
3.0-3.49 cumulative transfer grade point average

Transfer Grant

$3,000 per academic year
2.5-2.99 cumulative transfer grade point average

Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship

$3,000 per year
Members in good standing with Phi Theta Kappa as a new transfer student to HBU.

Church Matching Award

A limited number of awards are available for new students. Christian churches in Texas may contribute scholarship dollars to a full-time, undergraduate student. The University will match dollar for dollar up to $1,000 per student for monies contributed per academic year. The scholarship is available for a maximum of four years and is not applicable for summer enrollment. The total HBU value of the award is $4,000.

Ministerial Dependents Grant

A limited number of grants are available for dependent children of ordained Baptist ministers and missionaries. Proof of ordination and current full-time ministry are required, and the students must be regularly admitted students. Documents must be sent to the Office of Scholarships. Recipients must maintain a 2.8 cumulative GPA to retain the scholarship. The scholarship is available for a maximum of 12 semesters and is not applicable for summer enrollment.

Talent-Based Aid

These grants are available to undergraduate students who can contribute special abilities or services to the University. Talent awards may vary and a limited number are available. Contact the respective University department for more information.

Support for Every Religious Vocation (SERV) Scholarship (BGCT Ministerial Scholarship)

The SERV scholarship is available to Baptist undergraduate ministerial students and Baptist students planning to enter some church-related profession.  The annual maximum award is $50 per credit hour for freshmen and sophomores, $75 per hour for juniors and seniors, and $100 per hour for MATS and MABL students.  Students must fill out an application and renew the scholarship annually.  Second and consecutive renewal applications must be accompanied by evidence that the student is active in a church that cooperates with the Baptist General Convention of Texas (BGCT).  Students receiving the Texas Equalization Grant (TEG) are not eligible for the SERV scholarship.  For additional information, contact the School of Christian Thought at 281.649.3383.


Students who are veterans are also eligible for VA benefits.  Inquiries should be addressed to the VA Coordinator in the Office of the Registrar at HBU.

Graduate Financial Aid

Financial aid is available to the graduate student from several sources. Many students receive aid through their company’s tuition reimbursement program. The applicant should check this source to determine eligibility. Loans are available to candidates through the Stafford Direct Loan and Graduate PLUS Loan programs.

For financial aid purposes, nine or more semester hours of credit is considered full-time enrollment; five or more hours is considered half-time enrollment. See Financial Aid for a more complete description of some of these programs.

Financial Aid Contact Information

Assistance from one of the staff members of the Financial Aid Office is available Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. by calling (281) 649-3749. 

Mailing Address:
HBU, Financial Services Office, Atwood II-112
7502 Fondren Road
Houston, TX, 77074-3298  

Web Address:

Email Address: